S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
These gooey s’mores chocolate chip cookies are perfect for summer! They’re everything you love about a s’more, minus the campfire!
This summer has been pretty busy for our little family. We’ve been traveling and spending lots of time taking little trips around Utah… none of which included a bonfire or campfire. Kids. I’m super nervous about having wee ones around giant flames. Can you blame me? That said, I’ve really been craving something with toasty mallows, melty chocolate and crunchy graham crackers. This recipe is totally kid-friendly and can easily be made without a giant open flame! ☺️
I used a standard chocolate chip cookie base, but folded in some finely ground graham cracker crumbs to give these cookies a little extra flavor. Such a good idea! Then I quartered some mini marshmallows so that there was just enough in the dough to get that caramelization when the cookies baked, but not enough to make the cookies flat and funky. Along with the mallows I added some coarsely chopped chocolate so that it would get really melty inside. Yumm!!
About half way through baking, I removed the cookies and pressed some marshmallows, graham cracker chunks and chocolate chunks on top, then returned the cookies to the oven. This allowed the marshmallows to puff up and turn golden brown without melting them and it allowed the chocolate to get soft. Once the cookies cooled off for a few minutes, they were devoured! These s’mores chocolate chip cookies were a huge hit with our family. I hope they’ll be a hit with yours too. Enjoy & happy baking!
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- ⅔ c. fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1¼ c. (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⅓ c. brown sugar (284g)
- 1 c. granulated sugar (198g)
- 2¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ c. mini marshmallows, divided
- 1½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into coarse chunks, divided
- Sea salt, to sprinkle over balls of dough before baking
- ½ c. coarse graham cracker chunks
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and the sea salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, then the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
- Quarter ⅓ cup of the mini marshmallows (I used kitchen scissors), fold in the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and half of the chocolate chunks and any "shavings" you may have created while chopping the chocolate. Place the dough into an air-tight container and chill for 3 hours, preferably 24. The longer the dough chills, the better it tastes. I chilled mine for 72 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats, set aside.
- Using a standard size cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons) place dough onto the prepared baking sheets (12 per sheet). Place in the oven to bake for 6 minutes, remove and press in some marshmallows, chocolate chunks and graham cracker chunks. Return to the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and lightly golden brown on the tops. The cookies should look a little soft in the centers but should not be doughy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
CHECK OUT 10 MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPES:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cone – Ashlee Marie
- Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Real Mom Kitchen
- No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars – The Stay At Home Chef
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza – Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – Like Mother Like Daughter
- Snickers Chocolate Chip Cookies – The Baker Upstairs
- Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – Creations by Kara
- Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies –Butter With A Side of Bread