Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Skillet
Lately I’ve been loving super easy one-pot meals. This cream chicken broccoli and rice skillet is one we make every few weeks and always devour. It doesn’t hurt that it requires minimal ingredients and comes together in just under 30 minutes. Now that’s what I call a dinner success!
What our family loves most about this dish is how creamy and flavorful it is! Seasoning is definitely key here. You’ve got a pan full of broccoli, chicken, rice and a white sauce- all things that beg for flavor! So make sure to taste as you go and add in a little more at the end, I promise it’ll taste that much better!
To start, you’ll cook the cubed chicken in the pan, then add in the shallot and garlic. Sprinkle in the flour, then add in the milk and chicken broth and whisk until a thick cream sauce forms. I used all sorts of spices to flavor it including a little Bon Appétit seasoning which I didn’t include in the ingredients because I know not everyone has it on hand. If you want to buy it, that’s great- I use it in a lot of things, but if you don’t, stick with what the recipe says 🙂
After the sauce has thickened, add in the cooked rice (you can use any kind, I’ve made this with brown, white and wild), the steamed broccoli (these Ziploc Steam Bags are LIFESAVERS and are awesome to have on hand for recipes like this), and a handful of cheese. Stir everything together and let it cook for a few minutes then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top & serve! Easy, right?!
If you love quick, easy, one-pot meals as much as I do, you’re going to love this skillet! It’s flavorful, filling and family-friendly!
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ½ shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lb. chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 1¼ c. milk
- ½-3/4 c. chicken stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 3 c. cooked rice (brown, white or wild)
- 1 large head (or 2 medium heads) broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large saute pan or Dutch oven set over medium-low heat, add the butter. Cook chicken until tender, add the shallot and cook until translucent, then add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour, taking care to not let it brown. Whisk frequently for a minute or so, then pour in the milk and ½ cup of chicken broth. Turn the heat up to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add the salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. The mixture should thicken up and turn into a nice creamy sauce.
- Add the rice, broccoli and half of the cheese. Stir to combine, then add the additional ¼ cup of chicken stock (if needed to thin it out). Top with remaining cheese, remove from heat and serve once the cheese has melted. Garnish with additional salt, pepper and paprika.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple