Chopped Thai Salad
Beautiful, flavorful and the perfect base for your favorite protein. This chopped Thai salad will become a favorite in no time!
Last year we fell into a salad slump. Is that even a real thing? I don’t know. I just had no desire to make or eat salad. That was kind of a big deal because I love salad. I blame it on being pregnant.
This summer though, we are salad obsessed. It may have something to do with the obnoxiously warm and humid weather we’re having.
This chopped Thai salad is one of the many we have made recently and it’s one of my favorites. It has all of those crave-worthy textures and flavors: salty, sweet, crunchy, tangy. It’s absolutely delicious… and it happens to only take 20 minutes to make.
Did I mention you can add any protein to it and it’s a complete meal? Think grilled chicken, edamame, shrimp or thinly sliced steak. YUM!!
What do you need to make this salad?
- Mixed greens
- Purple cabbage
- Green onions
- Sweet peppers
- Cashews or peanuts
- Sesame seeds
Nothing too fancy, these are all things you can easily find at the grocery store.
What really make this salad amazing is the homemade peanut dressing. It’s tangy and nutty with all the umami you could ever want. Simple toss everything into a food processor or blender and pulse away. It literally takes 5 minutes to make start to finish.
When we make this I like to make the salad and dressing while I’m cooking my protein, which is almost always chicken. You can read about my favorite method here.
Once everything is ready to go we drizzle the dressing over top, add a few more sprinkles of sesame seeds and then dig in! If the kids are eating this (and I’m not just making it for myself for lunch) we’ll go easy on the chili sauce and then portion out a little bit of it to mix in more of that spicy goodness for us.
If you’re tired of the same old salad, give this chopped Thai salad a try! It is one of the many I’ll be sharing that helped get us out of our salad slump. It’s bright, flavorful and will leave you wanting more… and more… and more!
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
For the salad:
- 5 oz. mixed greens
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 6 sweet peppers, seeds and stem removed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 purple cabbage, thinly cut
- 1/3 c. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c. roasted cashews or peanuts
- 4 green onions, cut on the bias into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds (plain or toasted)
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp. peanut butter or almond butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. water or lime juice (more if needed)
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic chili sauce or chili flakes (more if you like it spicier)
- 1 clove garlic
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients for salad, toss together.
- In a small food processor or a blender, combine all ingredients for dressing. Blend or pulse for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.
- Add your favorite protein to this salad: grilled chicken, shrimp, edamame, or steak.