A rich and decadent dessert that is perfect for summer! This totally effortless 5 ingredient chocolate coconut mousse is dairy-free, gluten-free, low carb and no-bake.
Oh hey there summer, I see you!
Suddenly we went from winter to summer in a matter of weeks. I feel like we completely skipped spring here in Virginia. The weather has quickly taken a turn and let me tell you, it’s hot and humid! I’m a California girl (although I’ve lived in Florida a little too) and I just can’t deal with humidity. It makes my hair go crazy, it ruins baked goods, and it summons the all the mosquitos to our yard.
Not a fan. ?
It’s also the reason why I need recipes like this 5 ingredient mousse in my life. Quick, refreshing and best of all, no-bake!
As many of you know I’ve been testing all sorts of dairy-free recipes. Many are almond based, but the majority of them are coconut based. This is one that I fell in love with after taking just one teeny tine bite. It was thick, flavorful and surprisingly decadent.
I used 5 simple ingredients: coconut milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and a bar of chocolate.
Sounds too good to be true, right? I promise it isn’t! ?
First, you’ll need to grab a can of full-fat coconut milk and refrigerate it overnight. Native Forest is my preferred brand, but any brand will do.
Why? Because you need all of the cream to rise to the top and be easily removed. And in order to get that without getting the milk mixed in, it needs to be COLD. We’re going to use to all of that good stuff to make the mousse. It’s kind of like an all-natural, no fuss version of whipped cream… straight out of the can.
Add it to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the powdered sugar (just enough to sweeten it) and the vanilla and beat for about 2-3 minutes.
Remove a few spoonfuls to dollop on top, then add the cocoa powder and beat until it becomes stiff and mousse-like.
Portion between 4 small bowls (remember, it’s RICH), add the whipped topping and chocolate shavings. We had a few leftover berries and some fresh mint from our garden so we added them to the top too. Totally optional but it adds a nice pop of color.
This practically effortless dessert is going to be my go-to this summer. It doesn’t require turning on the oven, can be whipped up in 15 minutes, and tastes heavenly!
Looking for ways to use up leftover coconut milk? Try these:
- Coconut sticky rice
- Coconut baked chicken
- Coconut curry
- Brazilian lemonade
- Coconut hot chocolate
5 Ingredient Chocolate Coconut Mousse
- 1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar - more or less to taste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp +2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate shavings*
- Carefully open and remove the thick cream at the top of each can of coconut milk, taking care not to get too much of milk (a tiny bit is ok) and place in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Refrigerate milk for another use.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt (if desired). Beat on high with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until thick and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside 4 tablespoons of the whipped mixture to add on top of finished mousse.
- Using a mesh sieve, sprinkle in the cocoa powder and beat until thick and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide into 4 portions. Dollop with whipped coconut and garnish with chocolate shavings. Enjoy immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour before serving.