- 2 cups (8 oz) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate - semi-sweet or dark
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine coconut, sugar, salt and vanilla. Add egg whites and mix until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place onto baking sheet 1½ inches apart. Lightly pat down with hands.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a double broiler, over low heat, melt chocolate until it reaches 115 degrees. Remove from heat. Dip cooled macaroons into the chocolate, sprinkle with almond slices. Return to parchment paper. Place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until chocolate has hardened. Remove and serve.
Recipe by Stephen + Natalie | Gluten Free