Caramel Apple Blondies
These caramel apple blondies are full of apple chunks, caramel chips, and warm spices. These bars are soft and chewy and best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for apple cinnamon oatmeal cookies. We fell hard for them! While I was shopping for the cinnamon chips I happened to grab two kinds of caramel chips. I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with them, but after looking at our counter full of apples, I knew they were destined for these blondies.
What is a blondie?
- A blondie or a blonde brownie, is made from four, brown sugar, butter, eggs leavening, and vanilla. They may contain nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or flavored chips.
These blondies are loaded with sweet, spiced apple chunks, caramel chips and topped with flakes of sea salt. They are heavenly! If you can’t find caramel chips you can easily swap them for cinnamon chips or even white chocolate.
To make these blondies you’ll need one medium apple. Peel it, core it and cut it into 1/4-inch chunks. If you prefer smaller bits, I’d suggest using the large holes on a box grater. Squeeze excess moisture from the grated apple, then coarsely chop it up. My kids prefer baked goods with smaller pieces, however, I’m all about the big juicy chunks! ?
The dough will be soft thanks to the melted butter. Don’t be tempted to add excess flour. Everything will magically work out in the end, I promise.
Spread the dough into the bottom of a parchment lined 9×13-inch baking pan, then top with a pinch or two of coarse sea salt.
Bake until the golden brown and set in the center. 25-30 minutes should be just right. Let the bars cool for a good 20 minutes before slicing them up.
I’d highly suggest serving these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce on top. OH MY GOODNESS. Divine!!
These caramel apple blondies are a delicious treat perfect for fall! Looking to customize them? Add a 1/4 cup of rolled oats or a 1/4 cup of chopped toasted nuts. Try swapping the caramel chips for white chocolate and adding 1/3 cup of craisins. So many options, they’d all be so good!
MORE DELICIOUS APPLE RECIPES:
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Caramel Apple Blondies
- 1 medium apple - peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 12 tbsp. 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. granualted sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 c. caramel chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 9×13-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add the apples. Heat for 1 minute on half power. Squeeze excess liquid out. Toss in cornstarch and spices. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe mixing bowl, add the butter. Melt on half powder for 1-2 minutes or until almost melted. Whisk to completely melt.
- Add sugars, egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Beat mixture by hand for 30 seconds. Let the batter rest for 30 seconds then beat again for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Using a rubber spatula, mix until combined. Fold in caramel chips and prepared apples. Sprinkle the top with additional coarse sea salt if desired.
- Transfer dough into the prepared baking pan. Using the spatula, spread the dough into an even layer.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookie bars are set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.