These cheesy zucchini tots are loaded with shredded zucchini, bread crumbs, and cheddar cheese!! Dip them in ketchup, marinara or ranch!
Who here loves zucchini? I grew up eating lots of squash, so naturally I love baking and cooking with it. My kids seem to really enjoy it too, which is great, because I add it to EVERYTHING. Ok, not everything, but a good deal of main dishes and desserts. Today I thought I’d share a recipe we’ve made a few times now and that everyone loves- cheesy zucchini tots.
Just like those frozen tater tots, only made fresh and with zucchini instead of potatoes. While I love zucchini fries, my kids would waaaay rather eat a dozen of these. Maybe it’s the cheese? I don’t know. What I do know is that I was super skeptical about how these would turn out the first time and they totally exceeded my expectations. They’re really good!
I’m kind of a snob when it comes to oven baked food. I want it to taste just as delicious as the fried stuff. You know what I mean? These tots turned out flavorful on the inside and crisp on the outside- just what I had hoped for!
You’ll mix the squeezed zucchini (I used 2 zucchini and 1 yellow squash) along with the other ingredients until combined. Grab a tablespoon and portion the mixture out, then form into tots.
Place onto a generously sprayed baking sheet (I used avocado oil spray, grapeseed would also be a good choice), toss them into the oven and let them bake until they’re golden brown. If you like extra crispy tots, I’d suggest broiling them for a few minutes. Just watch them closely so that they don’t burn!
Serve them hot out of the oven with your favorite dipping sauce. We usually stick with ketchup, but marinara or ranch would be yummy too!
HERE ARE SOME MORE DELICIOUS ZUCCHINI RECIPES:
- Lightened Up Zucchini Bread
- Spicy Zucchini Frittata
- Garden Veggie Pizza
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan with Roasted Squash
- Zucchini Crumb Cake
Cheesy Zucchini Tots Recipe
- 3 medium zucchini - (or 2 zucchini and 1 yellow squash), grated
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese - finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- avocado oil - OR grape seed oil OR pam
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously spray/oil a standard size cookie sheet with nonstick spray (PAM works, but I prefer using avocado oil or grapeseed oil).
- Place grated zucchini in a colander with small holes over the sink and press as much water out as possible (this look me a good 5 minutes).
- Transfer zucchini to a large mixing bowl. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, cornstarch, salt, garlic, onion, pepper, parsley and paprika. Using a large spatula, mix the ingredient together until combined.
- Using a tablespoon for uniform measurement, scoop zucchini and form into tots. Place onto the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray tops with oil.
- Place into the oven and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 18-22 minutes. Serve immediately alongside your favorite dip (ketchup, marinara or ranch).