Hearty chicken stew is not only healthy and delicious, it’s easy to prepare and the perfect meal to warm up with on a chilly day!
WE love hearty stews!
When the weather turns crisp and cool it’s stew season! We love soups and stews. They are hearty, delicious, and so warm and filling.
You can change up a stew and create an entirely new meal. They also freeze really well and are perfect for serving to a large group. Did I mention they are pretty cost-effective too?! Yup, stews are definitely on the weekly rotation.
This chicken stew is simple, but full of flavor! It’s just a straight forward dish that is homey and tastes divine with a fresh baked roll. You can easily switch out the veggies too if you have an abundance of one over another and it will still be a crowd pleaser.
How to make Chicken Stew
CHICKEN. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat with flour mixture.
VEGGIES. In a large stock pot, melt butter and cook chicken until juices run clear. Add garlic, onion and green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots.
SIMMER. In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme and cornstarch and pour into the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
SEASON. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Make it in a slow cooker
CHICKEN. Start by melting the butter on the bottom and then add the flour and turn the chicken in the mixture to coat it.
VEGGIES. Then add the other listed ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shortcuts: To make this stew even easier use rotisserie chicken instead and skip ahead to adding the garlic, onion, and other veggies in the recipe. Use frozen or canned vegetables if you are short on time and want to whip this up quickly.
- Creamier: To make your stew a little creamier we suggest adding a bit of heavy cream or sour cream just before serving it.
- Thicker: To thicken this dish you can add just a bit more flour or even a mixture of cornstarch with a little broth or water.
- Potatoes: Any type of potato would work great in this recipe – sweet potatoes would also be a tasty choice!
- Veggies: Add any of your favorite vegetables in this stew. Asparagus, corn, peas, zucchini, or squash would all be good choices. Any root vegetable can be added in the beginning of the cooking time, but be sure to wait to add any others that are more tender until closer to the end so they won’t get too mushy.
- Garnish: Garnishing this stew with some crumbled bacon or shredded cheddar cheese would be a tasty addition!
STORE leftover stew for up to 3 days when kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
This stew also FREEZES well and will keep for up to 3 months when stored in an airtight container with some room for expansion left at the top. Make sure your stew has cooled completely before freezing. It is also handy to freeze individual portions to warm up for an easy meal later on.
Stew that has been frozen can be thawed overnight in the fridge and then warmed up on the stove or cooked for a few minutes in the microwave when you are ready to serve it again.
For more delicious soups and stews try:
Chicken Stew Recipe
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ onion - sliced
- 1 cup fresh green beans - diced
- 2 medium potatoes - peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots - cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- garlic salt and pepper - season to taste
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat with flour mixture.
- In a large stock pot, melt butter and cook chicken until juices run clear. Add garlic, onion and green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme and cornstarch and pour into the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.