Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
Creamy sausage and tortellini soup is a bowl full of comfort! It’s loaded with veggies, sausage and cheese tortellini – plus it comes together in just 45 minutes!
We love soup at our home, and this tortellini soup is so hearty and delicious! We love tortellini in our soups so much that we also included it in our Italian chicken noodle soup and creamy tortellini tomato spinach soup!
Sausage + Tortellini = WIN!
I love soup, and my kids are finally coming around to liking it too. For those of you who are new here, my kids aren’t picky eaters, in fact, they’re quite the opposite. There’s just something about soup they haven’t always loved, but I’m so happy they are making a turn! They especially love our chili recipes, chicken & noodles, and this creamy sausage and tortellini soup.
They ate an entire bowl and then some. The combination of sausage and tortellini was a winner for the whole family!
It’s creamy without being heavy, full of veggies, and loaded with pillowy cheese tortellini. It’s hard not to love this delicious soup. 😉
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup
This recipe is super simple and it comes together in 45 minutes. You probably have half of the ingredients on hand, and the others are really easy to find. It tastes amazing the day it’s made, and delicious the day after. Did I mention it requires only 1 pot?!
MEAT. To start you’ll brown 1 pound of Italian sausage in your stockpot. Transfer it to a paper towel lined plate. Using the remaining grease (about 1 tablespoon or so), sauté the onion (onion powder works too for picky eaters), shallot and carrots, sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are nice and soft.
ROUX. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Whisk in 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and cook for 1 minute (creating a roux that helps thicken the soup). Gradually add in the chicken stock, whisk to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 minutes.
TORTELLINI + VEGGIES. Pat as much grease as possible off of the sausage (that way you wont have excess grease on the top of the soup) , then add it along with the tortellini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chopped spinach, and half & half.
SIMMER. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tortellini is fully cooked.
More Notes + Tips
This soup is perfect as is, but it can be changed up by preference. In fact, many sausage tortellini soups are tomato-based, and if you like that, we suggest cutting the chicken broth in half and add 1 can of tomato sauce and a few cans of diced tomatoes. It’s delicious too!
If you’re not a fan of sausage, that can be omitted too, but trust us – it’s good!
If STORED properly in an air-tight container this soup can last for up to 3 days in the fridge. If you want to FREEZE this soup, we recommend doing it without the tortellini because it doesn’t freeze as well in soups. 😉
Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
For some of our favorite sides with this soup, check out:
Ladle it into serving bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan. We served ours with some crusty bread and a side salad, and like I mentioned above, it was gone in seconds!
For more creamy soup recipes, check out:
LEARN HOW TO MAKE CREAMY SAUSAGE AND TORTELLINI SOUP IN THE VIDEO BELOW:
Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Creamy sausage and tortellini soup is a bowl full of comfort! It’s loaded with veggies, sausage and cheese tortellini- plus it comes together in just 45 minutes!
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 14 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini*
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- 2 c. half & half (or heavy cream)
- In a large stockpot set over medium-high, cook the sausage until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel lined plate; set aside.
- Add onion, shallot and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the chicken broth, whisk to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Pat as much grease as possible off of the sausage, then add it along with the tortellini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, spinach, and half & half. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tortellini is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan, if desired.
-I used regular Italian sausage, NOT hot Italian sausage. You can also use plain pork sausage and season with an additional 1 tsp. Italian seasoning.
*You can use whatever stuffed tortellini you prefer.
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
All images and text © .