Guys, I’ve been craving this crisp and crunchy asian ramen salad for months now! It’s one that my mom made when we were growing up and I’ve always been a huge fan of it! Of course I added a few extra ingredients to add some more bulk to it but I think they all blended together beautifully!
What I love the most about this salad is the texture! There’s so much crunch in every bite! You’ve got crisp cabbage, romaine, carrots and green onions along with toasty ramen, almonds, sesame seeds, and wonton strips. Add a bit of grilled chicken and it’s complete!
Once you’ve got the vegetables sliced and diced, the toppings toasted and the chicken grilled, all that’s left to do is whisk up the homemade vinaigrette. Now if you’re OCD you can totally do it in a blender so that it’s less likely to separate, but if you’re planning on using it immediately it’s really not an issue. Once you’ve tossed everything together enjoy immediately! It’s a huge salad, probably best for dinner or small gathering! Leftovers are just as good, although the ramen and the wontons get a little soggy if you choose to add all of the dressing at once. Although that’s never stopped me from eating it 1, 2 or even 3 days later 🙂
If you’re in a rush you can totally used packaged salad and coleslaw mixture for the base and pre-cooked chicken. But if you have a bit of time to chop, slice and dice, I’d highly suggest using fresh ingredients! Because this salad should taste as good as it looks! Next time you’re in the mood for a crisp and crunchy flavor-packed salad, you’ve gotta give this one a try- you won’t regret it!
Crisp and Crunchy Asian Ramen Salad Recipe
- 2 (3) oz packages of ramen noodles - crumbled (no seasoning packet)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cup fried wonton strips
- 1 head romaine - chopped
- 1/2 green cabbage - chopped
- 1/2 purple cabbage - chopped
- 1 carrot - julienned
- 4 small green onions - sliced
- 1 chicken breast - cooked and sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the crumbled ramen noodles, sliced almonds and sesame seeds on baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is slightly toasted and golden brown. Remove and toss with the wontons, set aside.
- In large bowl, combine & toss the romaine, cabbages, carrot and green onion. Add the chicken and top with the ramen/almond/sesame/wonton mixture.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette or use a blender to combine. Pour over salad and serve immediately.
-Recipe source: adapted from a Life Made Simple family recipe