Crispy Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
You won’t be able to resist these crispy buffalo chicken nuggets. They’re crispy on the outside and so tender and flavorful on the inside.
I think it’s safe to say that 5 of the 7 meals we eat for dinner each week include chicken. It’s easy, our kids love it and it is so incredibly versatile! We love making tacos, sliders, pitas, stroganoff, and soup, but most of all, we LOVE making chicken nuggets.
Yes… I’m an adult and I still eat chicken nuggets. I’m not ashamed to admit it.
We’ve made all kinds of chicken nuggets over the years. My kids are particularly fond of honey BBQ and garlic parmesan, however, these crispy buffalo chicken have been a recent favorite.
They are insanely flavorful without being spicy. I think when people read ‘buffalo’ they assume it’s going to be HOT, but there are actually different types of Frank’s RedHot sauce. We use the original, not the hot buffalo.
You’ll need three chicken breasts, or approximately 1 pound. More or less is fine. Cut the meat into 1-inch chunks. Not too big, but not small enough that all you get is breading. There’s definitely a happy medium when it comes to the size of the nuggets.
Once you’ve made them a time or two you’ll be a pro.
Toss them in the buffalo sauce and let them marinate for up to 24 hours. I generally cut and marinate them the night before just because it’s one less thing I have to do and one less mess I have to clean up come 5:00. That said, I have done it right before baking them and they tasted just as delicious.
Next comes the breading. It’s easy! Don’t be intimidated by the three trays.
First, you dip them in flour, then the egg, and finally give them a roll in the crushed cornflakes. Place them onto a lined baking sheet (you can use parchment or a silicone mat) and then spray them with oil.
What kind of oil should you use for oven frying?
When frying foods in the oven or on the stovetop, choose a oil with a high smoke point (or burning point). Options include:
- Avocado Oil
- Safflower Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Canola Oil
- Peanut Oil
My personal favorite is avocado oil. I can find it in a spray which is great spritzing on things like nuggets, vegetables etc. I also love that it doesn’t contain any funky chemicals or propellants. Just make sure to carefully read the labels when choosing your oil! You’d be surprised by what they sneak into those sprays.
Let them cook for about 18 minutes at 425 degrees. They should be golden brown and crisp like the ones pictured above. ??
Serve these crispy buffalo chicken nuggets with classic wing sides like dressing and vegetable sticks.
Or get extra fancy and chop them up and make use them in quesadillas or tacos. We may or may not have done that. And they may or may not have been the some of the best things we ate that week. Seriously!! ???
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
- 1 lb. - 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders - cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 c. Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce - original NOT hot, unless you want it spicy
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. buttermilk
- 3 c. corn flakes cereal - crushed into coarse crumbs
- Oil for spraying - avocado, sunflower, safflower etc.
- In a medium bowl combine the chicken and buffalo sauce. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- In a shallow dish whisk together the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- In a second shallow dish whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- In a third shallow dish add the crushed corn flakes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Piece by piece, dip the chicken into the flour, then the egg mixture, and roll (gently pressing) in the cornflakes. Place nuggets on a lined baking sheet. Lightly spray with oil.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees, and are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite dressing and veggie sticks.