Perfectly spiced crispy buffalo chicken nuggets are crispy on the outside and so tender & flavorful on the inside.
We are fans of buffalo chicken flavoring and use it often. Crispy buffalo chicken nuggets are right at home with our 30 minute buffalo chicken meatballs, Instant pot buffalo chicken sliders , and Buffalo chicken dip.
yes, i love chicken nuggets!!
I think it’s safe to say that 5 of the 7 meals we eat for dinner each week include chicken. It’s easy, our kids love it and it is so incredibly versatile! We love making tacos, sliders, pitas, stroganoff, and soup, but most of all, we LOVE making chicken nuggets.
Yes… I’m an adult and I still eat chicken nuggets. I’m not ashamed to admit it. We’ve made all kinds of chicken nuggets over the years. My kids are particularly fond of honey BBQ and garlic parmesan, however, these crispy buffalo chicken nuggets have been a recent favorite.
They are insanely flavorful without being spicy. I think when people read ‘buffalo’ they assume it’s going to be HOT, but there are actually different types of Frank’s RedHot sauce. We use the original, not the hot buffalo.
Making crispy buffalo chicken nuggets
MARINATE. In a medium bowl combine the chicken and buffalo sauce. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
PREP. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
DREDGE. In a shallow dish whisk together the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and parsley. In a second shallow dish whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. In a third shallow dish add the crushed corn flakes. Piece by piece, dip the chicken into the flour, then the egg mixture, and roll (gently pressing) in the cornflakes. Place nuggets on a lined baking sheet. Lightly spray with oil.
BAKE + SERVE. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees, and are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite dressing and veggie sticks.
Easily make these in the air fryer:
Preheat it to 425 degrees, spray the pan and lay the breaded chicken nuggets inside. Cook for 10 minutes before flipping and cooking for another 5-10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Fry nugget in oil:
We prefer to use the oven because it provides a healthier option for the chicken nuggets. I have never personally tried frying them in a pan of oil but that should totally work! Make sure to keep the chicken nuggets moving through the oil so that they cook evenly.
When frying foods in the oven or on the stovetop, choose oil with a high smoke point (or burning point). Options include:
- Avocado Oil
- Safflower Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Canola Oil
- Peanut Oil
My personal favorite is avocado oil. I can find it in a spray which is great for spritzing on things like nuggets, vegetables etc. I also love that it doesn’t contain any funky chemicals or propellants. Just make sure to carefully read the labels when choosing your oil! You’d be surprised by what they sneak into those sprays.
- Use panko breadcrumbs instead of cornflakes
- Add cayenne pepper to the breading mixture
- Use Italian seasoned bread crumbs instead. This may lengthen your cook and yield not so crispy nuggets but you will get a great flavor out of it!
Ideas for Serving Your Nuggets
We like to serve these buffalo chicken nuggets with a side of carrot and celery sticks, and of course some delicious dipping sauce!
Great dipping sauces:
- Honey Mustard
- Blue cheese sauce
Or, get extra fancy and chop them up and make use them in quesadillas or tacos. We may or may not have done that. And they may or may not have been the some of the best things we ate that week. Seriously!!
STORE these stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Consider layering the buffalo chicken nuggets between pieces of parchment paper.
REHEAT them in the microwave, but to keep them crispy I recommend reheating them in the oven/air fryer. Reheat until warmed through and you can hear them sizzle!
To FREEZE, prepare your buffalo chicken nuggets like normal, flash freeze them until they are solidified, and then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Bake from frozen adding a couple of extra minutes to the bake time.
For more delicious chicken bites, try:
Buffalo Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 1 lb. - 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders - cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 c. Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce - original NOT hot, unless you want it spicy
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. buttermilk
- 3 c. corn flakes cereal - crushed into coarse crumbs
- Oil for spraying - avocado, sunflower, safflower etc.
- In a medium bowl combine the chicken and buffalo sauce. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- In a shallow dish whisk together the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- In a second shallow dish whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- In a third shallow dish add the crushed corn flakes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Piece by piece, dip the chicken into the flour, then the egg mixture, and roll (gently pressing) in the cornflakes. Place nuggets on a lined baking sheet. Lightly spray with oil.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees, and are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite dressing and veggie sticks.