Last winter just after Christmas, I went over to my brother’s house. He had a jar of Archer Farms “muddy buddies” on the counter. It was your typical Chex® cereal coated in peanut butter, but with dark chocolate and powdered sugar mixed with cocoa powder. I thought it was really good. A couple of days later I went to Target to look for it and it was sold out. Well, the other night Stephen and I were looking for something sweet to eat and I realized I had the ingredients- so I decided to make it myself. I used the recipe on the back of the cereal box to guide me along but altered it and halved it.
Dark Chocolate Puppy Chow
4 ½ c. Corn Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
½ c. bittersweet chocolate chips, heaping (I like Ghiradelli 60% cacao chips)
¼ c. creamy peanut butter, heaping
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tbsp. double-dutch dark cocoa powder
1. In a large mixing bowl, measure cereal and set aside.
2. In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 30 seconds, remove and stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
3. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, gently stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
4. Pour into a large (2 gallon) ziplock bag. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powders. Seal bag and shake well until completely coated.
5. Spread onto waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
Adapted from chexpartymix.com | Gluten Free | Makes approximately 10 servings