These dangerously good deviled eggs are a tasty twist on a springtime classic. They’ve got a few secret ingredients that make them extra addictive!
We loved hard boiled eggs at our house, so if we want to make this extra special snack we usually have to hide a few away. For some other quick and easy appetizer that are sure to please check out Jalapeno Popper Dip, Slow Cooker Grape Jelly Meatballs, and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms.
The BEST Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs are kind of like chocolate chip cookies. Everyone has their own unique recipe, but they’re all delicious. This is my spin on a classic. It has a few unusual ingredients that make them extra special. I also have unique method that cooks boiled eggs perfectly and makes peeling them almost effortless.
This is a recipe that has it roots way back in Roman times as an appetizer of sorts. Deviled eggs are a big thing for Easter time since eggs are a great Easter symbol. There are even specialized recipes for Christmas time. Basically these are great for a family gathering, just be careful that you don’t leave them out for too long in the heat of summer.
Let’s talk about cooking the eggs first. I’ve always struggled with getting boiled eggs to cook right AND to peel without making a mess. That was until I tried steaming them instead of boiling them. It made all the difference!
How to Make Deviled Eggs
boil steam eggs:
- Place a steamer basket in a large pot.
- Add a few inches of water.
- Set the pot over medium heat and cover with lid.
- Once steam starts forming, add the eggs.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drain the water and fill the pot half way with cold water and 2 cups of ice.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
They will peel beautifully. You can also refrigerate them and peel them later without any problems. I haven’t boiled an egg in years because this method is SO amazing! P.S. if you have an Instant Pot you can use this method too. Just add 1 cup of water, set the rack in, place eggs on top and hit LOW PRESSURE for 12 minutes then use the manual or quick release method. Continue with ice bath.
How to Make Filling
Once the eggs have been peeled, cut them in half lengthwise, remove the yolks and add them to a small mixing bowl (or a mini food processor) .
Blend/Mash with fork until smooth: yolks, mayonnaise, dijon, mustard, DILL pickle juice, worcestershire, paprika, black pepper, salt.
Place filling in a large pastry bag fitted with an extra large star tip. Pipe into halved egg whites.
Garnish with additional paprika and parsley or chives, if desired. You can add bacon crumbles too, because, you know… BACON. ❤️
Where to get the right type of piping bag? You can order piping bags off of amazon, or even find some piping bags at the local grocery store. If all else fails you can use a gallon sized Ziploc bag.
Changing Up + Transporting
Variations + Addition Ideas:
- Avocado: 1.5 ripe avocados mashed together with your dozen hard boiled eggs
- Truffles: Incorporate truffle oil and top with shaved truffles
- Ham: Mix in bits of ham and bacon
- Southwestern: Mustard, hot sauce, jalapenos, cheese, red bell pepper
- Smoked salmon: Add in capers and smoked salmon
- Spicy: Use chili powder and paprika
How to make them healthier? Most recipes use mayo, but you could instead use nonfat greek yogurt. You could substitute some of the yolks that are used for cottage cheese. This will cut down on some of the fat that the yolks typically contain.
How to transport deviled eggs? When taking them to a function these can be a little tricky to transport. You can use an egg carton, an ice cube tray, or even mini muffin trays. Whatever will fit them and keep them laying flat.
How to Store + Make Ahead
How long can they sit out? They should not sit out for more than 2 hours. Past that you risk them going into the danger zone and getting everyone sick.
Storing? Keep them in the refrigerator 3-4 days when they are filled. If you want you can wait to fill the eggs with the mixture until right before serving. Keep them in a covered container or else your whole fridge will smell like eggs.
Make ahead? These can be made about 2 days ahead of time. You can boil the eggs about a week out and then make the filling up to 2 days in advance. You can mix everything with the yolks and keep it in a bag in the fridge. Fill the eggs about 12 hours in advance and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
For more recipes, check out:
Best Deviled Eggs Recipe
- 7 hard boiled eggs - shells removed, cut in half lengthwise, and egg yolks removed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp dill pickle juice
- 1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- pinch cayenne pepper - or drop of hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp chopped parsley or chives
- In a small mixing bowl (or a mini food processor), the yolks, mayonnaise, dijon, mustard, pickle juice, worcestershire, paprika, black pepper, salt, and . Using a fork, mash until really smooth.
- In a large piping bag fitted with an extra large star tip, place filling inside. Pipe into halved egg whites.
- Garnish with additional paprika and parsley or chives, if desired.
My dad is obsessed with deviled eggs. I know he’d go crazy for these!
These seem to always be my assignment & your recipe is fool proof!
I love all the little extra ingredients in these deviled eggs! Really makes a delicious flavor.
I’m so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks so much for sharing!