Two classic egg dishes in one! These tangy, creamy deviled egg salad sandwiches have the flavor of deviled eggs with the chunkiness of traditional egg salad.
This is a dish that makes for a really quick and easy lunch! For more easy lunchtime sandwiches, we also love Copycat Chick-Fil-A Chicken Salad or Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad. Especially on homemade bread!
Creamy & Tangy Egg Salad
I don’t know what it is, but I’ve been craving egg salad like crazy lately! This is the second time I’ve made it in the past two weeks, I can’t seem to get enough of it.
What I love about this version is that it has just the right amount of tanginess, spice and crunch… and it’s just as easy to make as the classic recipe.
Deviled eggs were never something I ate growing up. In fact, it wasn’t until Easter this year that I tried my first one, and I’m totally hooked!
Since they’re more of an appetizer for holidays or parties, I decided to simplify the process and make egg salad instead. Super easy, really fast and no fuss involved. Are you on board? Let’s get started!
How to Make It
EGGS. The main ingredient for this recipe is hard boiled eggs. However, I’ve never had much luck with the boil method, so instead I steam mine (method included in the recipe below). They’re 100x easier to peel and the shelled eggs look perfect every time. You can also make them in the Instant Pot!
DRESSING. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, mustard, vinegar, chives, onion, celery, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne or hot sauce (just to give it a nice little kick, it’s not overwhelming at all). Whisk until smooth.
(I used Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise because it’s what I had on hand, their Greek Whole Milk Plain yogurt would have been my preferred substitute)
COMBINE. Using a fork, smash the cooled eggs in the container, then pour into the mixing bowl and gently stir until combined. Season with additional salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
ASSEMBLE. Pile it high on lightly toasted bread with a few leaves of lettuce. I hope you’ll enjoy this egg salad as much as we did! It’s a great way to use up boiled eggs (especially after Easter) or a great excuse to make some!
Here are a few ideas to change it up!
- Add in a splash of pickle juice instead of red wine vinegar to get that vinegary tang!
- Sprinkle in bacon crumbles
- Serve it with pita chips, rather than putting it in a sandwich
- Use an egg slicer to easily slice your hard boiled eggs
- Best bread to serve this with? You can do focaccia, ciabatta, or a croissant.
Fore more sandwiches, try:
- Copycat Chick-fil-a Chicken Sandwich
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Egg Salad
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Tuna Salad
Deviled Egg Salad Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonaise - OR Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek or Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chives - finely diced
- 2 green onions - finely diced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 stalk celery - finely diced
- 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika - heaping
- pinch cayenne pepper - OR few drops hot sauce
- Fill a saucepan with as much water as needed to reach the bottom of a steamer basket.
- Heat the water on high heat until it boils. Gently place the eggs on the bottom of the steamer basket. Cover and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for 12-14 minutes for hard boiled eggs.
- Remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl full of ice water. Allow to cool for 8 minutes. Remove, crack and peel the eggs, then transfer a container and place in the refrigerator to completely cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, mustard, vinegar, chives, onion, celery, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne or hot sauce. Whisk until smooth. Using a fork, smash the cooled eggs in the container, then pour into the mixing bowl. Toss until combined.
- Season with additional salt, pepper and paprika to taste. Serve on top of bread with lettuce.
I’m partnering with KitchenIQ and Stonyfield as a member of their Clean Plate Club to bring you today’s recipe. I received this product for review, all opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!
This is one of my favorite sandwiches!! Love it warm & loaded with paprika!