Life has been busy lately! We’ve been packing our days full of activities, errands and chores. Time spent in the kitchen was at an all time low this past week with Easter being the big exception.
I prepped all day long and still was rushing to finish things before our 6:00 dinner. Stephen helped with the ham and twice baked potatoes while I tended to the baby and got the rest of the spread ready. Somehow I had managed to botch a cupcake recipe and a bar recipe. I guess you can only do so many things at one given time. Thank goodness for friends who brought us dessert and saved the day! Moments like those make me thankful for very simple recipes like this one. You only need one bowl and a few ingredients to make these flourless peanut butter cookies.
It’s no secret that I LOVE peanut butter. Just ask my husband, he’ll tell you how weird I am for eating it on a daily basis. That’s right, every day. Whether it’s in a protein smoothie, on sliced apples or in a sandwich, I’ve gotta have it. Naturally I have a fondness for cookies that involve peanut butter. Flourless cookies that are made with peanut butter, well those are even better. That’s where this recipe comes in. I’m not super adventurous when it comes to gluten-free baking but sometimes when you only have a few tablespoons of flour left in your canister it becomes your only choice. Now that I’ve eaten my fair share of these cookies, I’d say it was a good one. Using peanut butter in place of the flour really gives these cookies their soft texture and amazing peanut butter flavor. Add a sprinkle of chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and mini peanut butter cups and you’ve got yourself a darn good cookie.
The thing I love most about these flourless peanut butter cookies is that you can make them in one bowl and bake them right away, no refrigeration required. To start you’re going to want to add a cup of creamy peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. If you prefer chunky that will work too. Next add the sugars (both granulated and brown for texture and flavor) along with the egg, baking soda vanilla and salt. I always add vanilla and salt to recipes because I think it enhances their flavor. Feel free to omit these two ingredients if you’d like. Bake these cookies plain or fold in your favorite chips, candies or nuts. Allow them to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet so that they firm up before transferring them to a cooling rack. Enjoy with a large glass of milk!
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or mini peanut butter cups (or a combination)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, baking soda, vanilla and salt until well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough and place onto the prepared baking sheets. Flatten each cookie slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Place in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes (be patient and don't remove them too soon or they'll fall apart) before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe source: adapted from Southern Living, Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies