These easy homemade drumsticks can be customized with your favorite ice cream flavors and toppings! They’re a fun and delicious summer treat.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve always loved drumsticks. The only problem is, now that I’m the one buying them, I don’t want to fork over the money for them! That’s where this simple, homemade recipe comes in. Did you know you can make drumsticks with only a few simple ingredients?! They’re easy, fun and everyone loves them. Plus you can customize them however you like. Don’t want vanilla? No problem! Don’t like peanuts? How about sprinkles?! The options are endless.
Grab 6 glasses for your cones to stand in, along with a few bowls and your favorite ice cream, filling (caramel or fudge sauce etc.), and toppings. I made super traditional caramel-filled drumsticks with crushed peanuts, however I’ve made raspberry cheesecake ones (dipped with white chocolate and coated in graham cracker crumbs), and they were amazing! Don’t be afraid to get creative, or use whatever you have on hand.
Once you’ve got the cones dipped and the toppings on, make sure you give them a good 15 minutes (30 is preferable) in the freezer before enjoying them. That will allow the softened ice cream to firm up and the “magic shell” to set. Serve these up on a hot summer day and they’ll be gone in no time. These homemade drumsticks are sure to become a family favorite!
Easy Homemade Drumsticks Recipe
- 6 sugar cones
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate - OR milk chocolate, melted
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp caramel sauce - homemade or store bought
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate - OR milk chocolate, + ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup salted roasted peanuts - chopped
- Stand 6 medium height glasses on a tray.
- Place 1 tablespoon melted chocolate inside of each cone. Using a pastry brush, brush the chocolate up the insides of the cone and around the top edge. Place in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes.
- In a microwave safe glass measuring cup, combine the 6 ounces of chocolate along with the coconut oil. Melt in the microwave for 1 minute on power 5, stir, then repeat. Stir in vanilla.
- Working one at a time, fill each cone level to the top with ice cream. Make a small dent and fill with ¾ teaspoon caramel sauce. Using a standard size cookie scoop, place a nice round ball of ice cream on top, gently press down.
- Immediately dip into the melted chocolate coating, then roll in chopped peanuts. Immediately place in the freezer. Allow the cones to chill for 30 minutes before enjoying.
- To store, wrap each cone in parchment paper and place in a ziploc bag in the freezer.