This rich savory chicken covered in a red wine tomato sauce, this Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore is an Italian classic! Load the sauce with bell peppers, mushrooms and herbs to get a delicious meal that you can whip up Quickly!
Chicken Cacciatore is a classic, rustic Italian meal based around chicken, onions, tomatoes, herbs, vegetables, and usually wine or vinegar. We love to serve this over a bed of pasta and wit our cheesy garlic bread or garlic parmesan artisan bread!
An Instant Pot Favorite
This classic Italian inspired dish is one of my favorites!! I love the braised chicken, sautéed veggies and garlic, sauce, and herbs. It really is so flavorful and now with the Instant Pot, this recipe can’t be any easier.
We love to make this chicken cacciatore when hosting guests or for a quick, tasty weeknight meal.
Serve this over angel hair, fettuccine, pappardelle pasta or rice. Or for a lower carb option, serve it over spiralized zucchini or cauliflower rice. We love all the options that go with this dish.
How to Make INSTANT POT Chicken Cacciatore
Sauté in the Instant Pot
- Begin by sautéing onions and garlic. Then sauté your other vegetables until they begin to lightly brown!
- Then move your vegetables to the side of your Instant Pot, creating a well in the center to sauté your chicken.
- Brown both sides of your chicken (it doesn’t have to cook all the way through during this stage)
- Add the wine and broth and let everything simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Finally, add the crushed tomatoes and past and chili flakes.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and cook on MANUAL mode (high pressure) for 18 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release.
- Add the olives and remove from heat.
- I love to garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Slow cooker directions? First, you need to cook your chicken for about 4 minutes on each side to just get a nice sear. After that pour everything from the pan, including the drippings into the slow cooker. Add your veggies and liquid and if using breasts cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
If using thighs cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
The Sauce + FAQ
The secret to this delicious chicken recipe is the sauce. The red wine, tomatoes, and herbs make for a delicious, savory sauce. You can always substitute the red wine for chicken broth and red wine vinegar.
What cut of meat should I use? You can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs. If you are worried about your meat becoming too dry I would suggest using chicken thighs rather than breasts. You could also use a bone-in chicken thigh, but you will just have to take the extra step of removing the bone before shredding and serving the chicken.
Can I use frozen chicken? When you cook with frozen chicken you typically have to add an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time.
What vegetables to cook with it? The more popular options are mushrooms and bell peppers. You can also do carrots, kale, and tomatoes.
Storing + Side Tips
The flavors of this Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore only seem to get better with time. Make this dish early in the day or the next day as leftovers. Keep leftovers stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days in an air-tight container.
Or you can freeze this dish in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 3 months. (Make sure you shred the chicken before you freeze it). Leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw before rewarming in the microwave or in the oven.
I also love to use leftover chicken cacciatore to make an Italian casserole. To do so, take the chicken and layer it with marinara sauce, spinach and cheese to make a delicious Italian casserole. Or you could use leftovers in our Italian chicken noodle soup recipe.
Pair this very filling chicken and pasta dish with a simple spinach salad or steamed veggies- something light and easy is best!
Check out more of our delicious chicken recipes:
- Maple Dijon Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Bone-in Chicken Breast
- Chimichurri Chicken
- Crispy Lemon Pepper Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 6 chicken thighs - boneless skinless
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper - diced
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 carrot - peeled and sliced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms - sliced
- 8 fresh thyme - sprigs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth - low-sodium
- 20 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup black olives - pitted
- 1 tbsp parsley - freshly chopped
- Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Once hot, add the oil. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the peppers, carrot, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Saute for 5-7 minutes until vegetables begin to lightly brown. Push vegetable to the side of the pot to create a well in the center for the chicken.
- Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Pour in the wine, then the chicken broth. Let simmer for 5 minutes, letting the liquid reduce in half.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and chill flakes. Gently mix the ingredients together.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock. Make sure valve is in the sealing position. Select MANUAL mode (high pressure) for 18 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release.
- Add the olives and remove from heat and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve over a bed of spaghetti or zucchini noodles.
It’s awesome but put it over a bed of Rotini noodles!
Good idea! Thank you!
I love that I can make my favorite dish in the instant pot!! Such a fantastic recipe!
My family loves this recipe! It has so much flavor & the chicken is so tender!
Made this the other night and it was fantastic! Also made great leftovers!
Tried this the other night and it was delicious! Love all of the veggies in it. Made great leftovers.