Cheesy instant pot scalloped potatoes are next level comfort food. They are easy enough to make any night of the week!
These Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes would be the perfect accompaniment to Pork Roast, Lemon Pepper Chicken, or Blackberry Dijon Ham. They are delicious and definitely fit for serving at a get together!
A perfectly cheesy side
There are some combinations that are just meant to be. For me, cheese and potatoes are one of those perfect pairings! They are so homey and comforting.
These Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes hit just the right spot! You save time by cooking the potatoes in the instant pot before topping with the sauce and broiling to achieve that perfectly crisp top. They are SO easy to make, and are SO tasty.
We especially love pairing ours with a Christmas ham, but really these cheesy potatoes make a delicious side for many main dishes. They are easy to whip up to feed a crowd too!! The pan is sure to be gobbled up in no time.
How to make instant pot scalloped potatoes
PREP. Preheat the oven’s broiler and place an oven rack 6 inches from the heat source.
POTATOES. Mix together potatoes, vegetable broth, and salt in an Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure and set timer for 1 minute. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build. Using the quick-release method, release the pressure carefully, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
SAUCE. Transfer potatoes to an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Combine 1 ½ cups Cheddar cheese, cream, garlic powder, pepper, and nutmeg in the Instant Pot with the remaining liquid, select the Sauté function and cook until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce evenly over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Cheddar cheese.
CRISP. Broil in the oven until golden, about 5 minutes.
Some helpful tips before you get started
Try to aim for ¼ inch slices of potatoes. They are the perfect width for this recipe and will ensure that your dish doesn’t turn out too firm or too mushy. If you have a mandoline this would be best for slicing, but you could also use a sharp, thin knife or even a cheese planer. Good news – you don’t need to peel your Yukon Gold or red potatoes for this dish!
Make sure you let this dish rest and cool off a little bit before serving. This will allow the cheese sauce to thicken to the perfect consistency.
This dish can easily be prepared ahead of time:
PREPARE. Just follow the recipe up to just before you would broil it.
CHILL. Allow it to cool and cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a day or two.
BAKE. Then when you are ready to serve, take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for an hour. Next, bake for 10-12 minutes in a 350 degree oven, turning the temperature up to broil for approximately 5 more minutes until the cheese on top is browned and nice and bubbly.
- Russet potatoes can be used in this recipe (peel the skin first)
- Add some chopped onion
- Substitute some crushed garlic instead of the garlic powder
- Sprinkle cooked crumbled bacon, or diced ham right before baking
- Swap out the sharp cheddar for your favorite cheese in this dish (Colby, Monterrey Jack, Swiss, and smoked Gouda are all tasty options)
STORE Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes up to 4 days when kept covered in the fridge.
To FREEZE any leftovers, be sure to let them cool first and then cover them with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil, or store in an airtight container. Freeze this dish for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy it again, thaw leftovers overnight in the fridge before reheating. For best results, heat the thawed potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 10-25 minutes. It may be a good idea to sprinkle a little extra cheese on top before baking as some of the sauce tends to break a little bit when frozen. You could also microwave smaller amounts of leftovers for 2-3 minutes on high.
For more delicious sides, try:
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds Yukon gold or red potatoes - cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth - or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt with parsley
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese - divided
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and place an oven rack 6 inches from the heat source.
- Mix together potatoes, vegetable broth, and salt in an Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure and set timer for 1 minute. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Using the quick-release method, release the pressure carefully, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Transfer potatoes to an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Combine 1 ½ cups Cheddar cheese, cream, garlic powder, pepper, and nutmeg in the Instant Pot with the remaining liquid, select the Saute function and cook until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce evenly over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Cheddar cheese.
- Broil in the oven until golden, about 5 minutes.
Super delicious! That sauce is INCREDIBLE! I could totally just DRINK that! Love this dish! Thanksgiving, here we come!
Great idea to use this for Thanksgiving.
Yummy! I love the sauce! Easily, hands down, potatoes are my favorite food. I LOVE delicious, unique recipes like this that elevate my favorite food and make it even better than it already was! Yummy, yum, yum!!!
The instant pot makes everything easier.
Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! Really tasty and super easy to make! Highly recommended! Will have this again!
Yukon Golds are always so tender and I love how cheesy this recipe is! A perfect side dish to any BBQ recipe!