Banana cream pie is something I’ve never been a huge fan of, mainly because I prefer to eat bananas as a snack or in bread. But when I married my husband I discovered a new found love for banana pudding. His grandpa searched long and hard to find the perfect recipe, and he did. It doesn’t have any artificial banana flavoring in it which is a huge plus in my book. The other day I decided to make mini banana cream pies using/adapting his recipe. Instead of layering wafers throughout, I opted for a Nilla wafer crust. They turned out perfect- sweet, creamy and full of real banana slices. Yum! Note: I used my mini tart pan to make my pies, but this recipe is for a standard 9″ pie.
Banana Cream Pudding Pie
3½ c. Nilla wafers
8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the wafers into a large ziplock bag and pound them with a rolling pin until they become coarse crumbs.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine wafer crumbs, flour, sugar, salt and butter. Mix on low speed for 1 minute.
4. Press moistened mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie dish. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool completely before filling.
1 (3 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 c. milk
½ can condensed milk
1 c. cold whipping cream
1½ bananas, sliced
½ banana, sliced
¼ c. Nilla wafers
Whipped cream (optional)
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on, whip cream until soft peaks begin to form. Remove from bowl and place in refrigerator.
2. Pour pudding package into the bowl, add milk and condensed milk. Beat for 1 minute on medium or until the mixture becomes smooth. Remove bowl and place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
3. Once mixture has set, fold in whipped cream. Pour ⅓ of the mixture into the pie dish. Place ½ of the bananas on top of the mixture. Pour another ⅓ and cover with bananas. Pour the remaining mixture over and smooth with a spatula.
4. Chill until ready to serve. Top with desired toppings and serve immediately.
Stephen + Natalie | Makes approximately 6-8 servings