I’ve totally been holding out on you guys. A few months ago the lovely folks at the Peanut Butter & Co. sent me a box full of their amazing peanut butters. Out of the 5, we’ve finished all but 2! We kind of love peanut butter 🙂 I’ve been making sandwiches, Thai-inspired salad dressings, peanut butter cookies, and lots of granola. Since we had a bit of their Cinnamon Raisin Swirl left, I thought I’d make an oatmeal cookie breakfast granola. I mean who doesn’t want to eat cookies for breakfast, right?!
This granola tastes just like an old-fashioned oatmeal cookie, only it’s way healthier for you! It’s packed full of rolled oats, unsweetened coconut, nuts, flax meal, peanut butter and maple syrup. Sure it has a little bit of brown sugar and butter, if you’re really being health conscious you can sub them for more maple syrup and coconut oil. Ok? Now back to the recipe… it’s so easy to make and will last the entire week (that is if you don’t have a 1½ year old who loves to snack on it)!
It only takes 5 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to bake. So are you ready to get started? Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet (with sides/edges) with parchment paper or a baking mat and set it aside. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped pecans, flax seed meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. I like to toss these ingredients by hand to get them distributed evenly.
Then, in a small microwave safe mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, peanut butter and butter or coconut oil. Any peanut butter will do, but I definitely prefer the flavor of the Peanut Butter & Co.’s Cinnamon Raisin Swirl. It’s got cinnamon & raisins swirled right into it! Heat the mixture on HIGH for 30 seconds or until butter is slightly melted (the syrup will bubble, that’s ok). Add the vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until everything is moist. Spread across the prepared baking sheet into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (adding the raisins in the last 10 minutes- they will plump up but then shrink as they cool). Remove the granola when golden brown and allow to cool completely before eating.
Serve on top of yogurt, in a big ole bowl of milk or eat as-is! This granola will have you craving oatmeal cookies all day long 😉
Oatmeal Cookie Granola Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut *
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (Peanut Butter & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl)
- 2 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the oats, coconut, pecans, flax seed meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a small microwave safe mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, peanut butter and butter or coconut oil. Heat on HIGH for 30 seconds or until butter is slightly melted (the syrup will bubble, that's ok). Add the vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, toss to combine. Spread across the prepared baking sheet into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (adding the raisins in the last 10 minutes). Remove and allow to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
-For gluten-free: please make sure your oats are certified gluten-free.
-For dairy-free: sub equal amounts coconut oil for butter.
Recipe source: adapted from Joy The Baker