These homemade peanut butter and jelly pop tarts are the perfect lunch box treat! They’re flaky, stuffed full of jam and topped with a peanut butter glaze.
It’s that time of year again! Back-to-school is in full swing and I’ve got lunch box ideas on my mind 24/7! What do you pack for your kiddos? Do they get a treat? I thought I’d share a fun kid-friendly treat that was a huge hit with our kiddos. These PB&J pop tarts are made with homemade pastry, stuffed with jam and topped with peanut butter. And of course, we couldn’t resist adding a few rainbow sprinkles to finish them off.
To start you’ll roll out two discs of pie dough into two large 9×15-inch rectangles. Using a ruler and a sharp knife OR a pizza/pastry wheel, cut out nine rectangles on each piece, making 18 total. Mix together an egg and some heavy cream, then brush over each individual rectangle.
Grab a jar of Crofter’s organic premium spread (I used seedless strawberry, but their raspberry would be delicious too), and add about one and a half tablespoons into the center, spread it 1/4-inch from the edges. P.S. I used Crofter’s because it’s sweetened with cane sugar and it’s nice and thick which is exactly what you want for this type of pastry.
Place a piece of pastry on top, then press the edges to seal.
Brush the top, poke with a toothpick to create steam vents, then place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. When the pop tarts are golden brown, you know they’re ready to come out.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together smooth peanut butter, vanilla, milk and powdered sugar until a thick, creamy glaze forms.
Spread it over the cooled pop tarts, then add your favorite sprinkles. We went for sparkly rainbow ones… obviously 🙂
Kids will absolutely love these homemade peanut butter and jelly pop tarts. They’re the perfect lunch box treat. You can freeze them for up to 2 months, then let them thaw out as the day goes on. They’ll be ready just in time for dessert!
I’m partnering with Peanut Butter & Co.® to bring you today’s recipe. All opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with companies I love!
See how to make these Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop Tarts below:
Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop Tarts Recipe
- 2 rounds pie dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
For the Filling
- 3/4 cup +2 tbsp Strawberry Jam - we like Crofter’s Organic Seedless Strawberry Premium Spread
For the Glaze
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter - we like Smooth Operator® peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk - depending on desired thickness
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Roll out each round of dough to 9x15-inch rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick. Using a sharp knife or pizza/pastry wheel, trim the edges so that they are straight, then cut into nine 3x5-inch rectangles. Transfer the rectangles to two parchment (or baking mat) lined baking sheets.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and cream. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on nine of the rectangles, then spoon a tablespoon and a half of strawberry spread into the center of each rectangle, leaving a 1/4-inch of space around the edges.
- Place a second rectangle of dough on top of the nine assembled ones. Using your fingers, press around the edges of the dough. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the pop tart. Brush with egg wash. Using a toothpick, prick 8 holes in the tops of the pop tarts.
- Place baking sheets in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place in the oven and bake for 28 to 32 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow the pop tarts to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely (or until barely warm).
- Meanwhile, to make the glaze, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, vanilla, milk and powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Spread over the pop tarts, top with sprinkles, if desired. Allow the glaze to set before enjoying.