Peppermint Frosted Brownies
Everyone will love these thick peppermint frosted brownies. They’re loaded with chocolate and topped with a crushed candy cane white chocolate frosting.
Are you tired of peppermint yet? I’m not! ☺️❤️ Peppermint is one of my favorite holiday flavors. I know I should probably be sharing more cranberry and eggnog treats, but this year I’m all about MINT. These frosted brownies are a spin on a Christmas classic: peppermint bark. They’ve got a dense, rich chocolate base and are topped with a heavenly white chocolate frosting flecked with crushed candy canes. All it takes is one bite and you’ll be hooked!
Brownies aren’t typically part of our holiday dessert spread. We tend to stick with cookies, fudge and occasionally, a cheesecake. But since we love trying new things, I thought I give these brownies a go. I had to do a little experimenting with the frosting. I wanted it to taste like white chocolate but to still be light and fluffy. You could always top these with a white (or dark) chocolate ganache if that’s more of your thing.
Just don’t forget to add the peppermint extract and crushed candy canes. They really make these brownies! Once they’re frosted you can cut them into bars or cute little bark shaped triangles.
These festive and minty brownies will be a huge crowd pleaser. They’ve got everything going for them- chocolate, frosting and candy!
Peppermint Frosted Brownies Recipe
For the Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - sifted
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate - OR bittersweet chocolate, chopped(optional)
For the Frosting
- 4 oz white chocolate - chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk - OR heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup candy canes - finely crushed and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with foil and lightly coat with baking spray, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the melted butter, sugars and vanilla extract for 30 seconds on medium. With mixing speed on low, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing until no flour pockets remain. Remove the bowl from the stand and using a spatula, fold in the chopped chocolate, if desired.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes or until set, taking care not to over-bake. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes or until brownies are no longer warm (you can speed up the process by letting them cool uncovered in the refrigerator).
- Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Allow the chocolate to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted or a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the butter on high until creamy, about 2 minutes. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the powdered sugar, milk or cream, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and salt. Mix until combined. Add the white chocolate and 2 tablespoons of crushed candy canes, beat on high for 1 minute.
- Using an offset spatula, frost the cooled brownies. Sprinkle with remaining candy cane bits. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.