I’m partnering with Ghirardelli to bring you today’s recipe. All opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with companies I love!
Chewy, gooey peppermint rice krispie treats. Made with cocoa cereal, peppermint extract, peppermint white chocolate and cute little snowmen.
A few weeks ago Ghirardelli sent me a package full of peppermint goodies. I was in HEAVEN! It was the first time in over 10 months I had eaten real chocolate and man was it good!
I immediately knew what I was going to make with the peppermint snowmen: a cake! I wanted them to be a collar around the bottom of the cake. But then we all got sick, really sick, and a three layer cake just wasn’t going to happen. As much as I wanted to make it, I knew it would have to wait until next year.
So instead we made these fun and festive peppermint rice krispie treats. My three year old daughter was so excited to help! They only took a few minutes to prep and the refrigerator took care of the rest ??! Plus she was more than happy to snack on all of the mix-ins that fell out of the bowl while we stirred everything together. #kids ?
You’ll need 7 ingredients to make this no-bake recipe:
- Cocoa rice krispie cereal
- Marshmallows (regular or peppermint)
- Peppermint extract
- Peppermint chunks
- Peppermint bark snowmen
Once you have your ingredients gathered up, it’s time to get started!
Heat the butter in a non-stick pot or saucepan over medium heat. Then add the salt. You can use unsalted butter instead, but if you don’t have that on hand, make sure to add some salt- it helps balance out all of the sweetness. Pour in the marshmallows (reserving 1 cup to fold in later) and let them get nice and melty.
Remove from the heat and stir in the peppermint extract and the cereal. Make sure to toss everything well so it’s evenly coated.
Press the mixture into a lined 9×9-inch baking pan (see recipe for tips). If you prefer thinner rice krispie treats or want this recipe to yield more than 12 servings, you’ll want to use a 9×13-inch pan instead. Just know that a bag of Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Snowmen only have 13 chocolates in them so you’ll need to grab 2 bags if you plan on going this route.
In a microwave safe bowl or in a double boiler, melt the white chocolate peppermint chunks. You can find them at Target and other well stocked grocery stores during the holidays. They are GOLD! When it’s nice and smooth, pour over the pressed rice krispie treats and spread into an even layer.
Gently press the snowmen into the layer of melted white chocolate. Transfer the pan to the refrigerator and let chill for 30 minutes or until fully set.
To cut the bars, use a sharp knife. This is so important!! Sharp kitchen knifes make such a huge difference, you should take them to get sharpened every year. I like to pull the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper, place them onto a cutting board and slice alway. You’ll end up with 12 crisp, clean bars.
These kid-friendly treats are perfect for holiday parties or gatherings. They will disappear in seconds!
LOOKING FOR MORE AMAZING PEPPERMINT RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Homemade Peppermint Bark
- White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
- Peppermint Snack Mix
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- Peppermint Frosted Brownies
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tbsp. 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 16 oz. bag mini marshmallows*, divided
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 6 1/2 c. cocoa rice krispie cereal
- 1 10 oz. bag Ghirardelli Peppermint Chunks
- 1 bag Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Snowmen
- Line a 9x9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pot or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in salt, and all but 1 cup of the marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract. Pour in the cereal and the reserved cup of marshmallows, mix until completely coated.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Lightly butter the bottom of a measuring cup or a turner and gently press krispies into a smooth, even layer.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, heat peppermint chunks on HALF power for 1 minute. Stir and repeat until melted. Pour over the pressed krispie treats and use an offset spatula to spread into a smooth layer. Press the snowmen in immediately.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut into clean slices before serving. Store at room temperature.