These sausage stuffed french toast roll ups are perfect for breakfast or brunch! They’re drizzled in maple syrup and dusted with powdered sugar.
I’m kicking off an unofficial “kids week” (back to school) here on LMS with these sausage stuffed french toast roll ups. For those of you thinking this sounds like an odd combination, those were my thoughts exactly… until I tried it.
Our oldest is obsessed with french toast. He requests it on an almost daily basis. Our youngest would rather eat eggs and sausage. But like many of you, our mornings are rushed and I don’t always have time to make a big hearty breakfast. So this was my solution. Quick, easy and surprisingly tasty!
This is my third time making roll ups (check out my pizza roll ups here) and these are quite possibly my favorite. I’m always a sucker for anything you can dust in powdered sugar and dunk in maple syrup. I know these aren’t the healthiest thing, but they are a special treat we make every once in a while when we just can’t agree.
You’ll start by cooking off your favorite breakfast sausage (I used Applegate for this particular recipe). Then cut the crust off of 8 slices of sandwich bread. We used whole wheat, however ANY bread would work. Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece of bread. Whisk up the french toast mixture, then dip each piece of bread in it. Roll up the sausage inside and seal the ends by pressing the bread together. Toss into a hot buttered skillet and cook until all sides are browned.
Serve them up as-is or drizzle them with maple syrup and/or a dusting of powdered sugar. You can also serve them with little dipping bowls if you have young kids that enjoy finger foods. They’ll love it!
Sausage Stuffed French Toast Roll Ups Recipe
- 8 breakfast sausage links - maple, brown sugar or plain, fully cooked
- 8 slices sandwich bread - (white, wheat etc.), crust cut off
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- Set a large skillet over medium heat.
- Use a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread.
- In a small dish, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Dip each piece of bread in the mixture, then place a sausage on the front edge of the bread. Tightly roll up, pressing to seal the end.
- Place the butter in the preheated skillet, once melted, add the rolls seam side down. Cook for 2 minutes (or until golden brown) on each side, then turn and cook for 2 minutes on 2 more sides.
- Remove from the heat and serve with syrup and/or powdered sugar, if desired.