These gooey s’mores chocolate chip cookies are perfect for summer! They’re everything you love about a s’more, minus the campfire!
I LOVE classic chocolate chip cookies, but I also love many variations of chocolate chip cookies! Some of my favorites are double peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and of course today’s recipe, s’mores chocolate chip cookies!
Sweet S’mores Cookies
This summer has been pretty busy for our little family. We’ve been traveling and spending lots of time taking little trips around Utah… none of which included a bonfire or campfire. I’m super nervous about having wee ones around giant flames. Can you blame me?
However, I’ve really been craving something with toasty mallows, melty chocolate, and crunchy graham crackers. This recipe is totally kid-friendly and can easily be made without a giant open flame!
How to Make S’mores Cookies
I used a standard chocolate chip cookie base but folded in some finely ground graham cracker crumbs to give these cookies a little extra flavor. Such a good idea!
Then I quartered some mini marshmallows so that there was just enough in the dough to get that caramelization when the cookies baked, but not enough to make the cookies flat and funky. Along with the mallows I added some coarsely chopped chocolate so that it would get really melty inside.
About halfway through baking, I removed the cookies and pressed some marshmallows, graham cracker chunks and chocolate chunks on top then returned the cookies to the oven. This allowed the marshmallows to puff up and turn golden brown without melting them and it allowed the chocolate to get soft.
Once the cookies cooled off for a few minutes, they were devoured!
Can you make these stuffed with marshmallows? To stuff the cookies with marshmallows it takes a lot of planning beforehand. The cookie top needs to be slightly thinner than the cookie bottom so that the marshmallow doesn’t leak out the bottom. To do this, form two balls of dough, flatten them and then place a small handful of mini marshmallows in between the two and seal the seams!
S’more Tips + FAQ
- A convection oven will more successfully bake these cookies than a non-convection oven.
- Change it up with the chocolate chips you use: try dark chocolate, or white chocolate, or even Reese’s peanut butter chips!
- Use a food processor or blender to pulse the graham crackers into coarse crumbs!
- You could use marshmallow cream but it will give you a thick layer of cream, whereas the mini marshmallows will give the cookies delightful pockets of gooey marshmallows!
- Cookie dough will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- You can freeze the dough for up to 3 months- just roll them into balls, freeze them and then transfer them to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag
- Just pull them from the freezer and cook- no defrosting necessary, but they may need an extra minute or two!
These s’mores chocolate chip cookies were a huge hit with our family. I hope they’ll be a hit with yours too. Enjoy & happy baking!
For more S’mores recipes:
- S’mores layer cake
- S’mores muddy buddies
- S’mores skillet cookie cake
- Mini Nutella s’mores cheesecake
- Fudgy s’mores bars
S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies RecipeThese gooey s'mores chocolate chip cookies are perfect for summer! They're everything you love about a s'more, minus the campfire!Pin RateServings: 36 cookies!Calories: 230kcal
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs - finely crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (2 ½ sticks), room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup mini marshmallows - divided
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate - chopped into coarse chunks, divided
- sea salt - to sprinkle over balls of dough before baking
- 1/2 cup coarse graham cracker chunks
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and the sea salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, then the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
- Quarter ⅓ cup of the mini marshmallows (I used kitchen scissors), fold in the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and half of the chocolate chunks and any "shavings" you may have created while chopping the chocolate. Place the dough into an air-tight container and chill for 3 hours, preferably 24. The longer the dough chills, the better it tastes. I chilled mine for 72 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats, set aside.
- Using a standard size cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons) place dough onto the prepared baking sheets (12 per sheet). Place in the oven to bake for 6 minutes, remove and press in some marshmallows, chocolate chunks and graham cracker chunks. Return to the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and lightly golden brown on the tops. The cookies should look a little soft in the centers but should not be doughy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
NOTES- If you want your marshmallows extra toasty, try using a kitchen torch!
RECOMMENDED PRODUCTSNutrition FactsS'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies RecipeServing Size1 cookieAmount per ServingCalories230% Daily Value*Fat11g17%Saturated Fat7g44%Trans Fat1gPolyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat3gCholesterol27mg9%Sodium162mg7%Potassium110mg3%Carbohydrates31g10%Fiber1g4%Sugar19g21%Protein2g4%Vitamin A215IU4%Calcium28mg3%Iron1mg6%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.Did you make this recipe?Take a picture and tag @lmadesimple on Instagram or tag #LMSBakes! We can't wait to see your version!
Followed this recipe as stated (even refrigerating for 72 hrs) and they came out flat, undercooked and stuck to the pan. I’m assuming the recipe portions are incorrect – so disappointing! Eating the rest of the dough and unfortunately ditching this recipe.
These are amazing!! We love anything s’mores!! They are so good in cookie form! Way to addicting!
These are heavenly. Just the right amount of everything! Made them for my family and they disappeared quickly!
these came out SO perfect and delicious. I skipped 2 steps out of pure laziness: I didn’t cut up the mini marshmallows and I just let them cook through for 14 min without adding any extra toppings. Delicious!
Thank you Lesia!!