Sweet Kale Superfood Salad
A few weeks ago my good friend Mandy and I were in charge of making the food for our dear friend’s baby shower. Mandy agreed to bring half of the spread including the salad. She picked up one of Costco’s popular salad mixes and jazzed it up a bit (she added avocado and cherry tomatoes). I was totally smitten! I loved everything about it, especially the chunks of veggies and the toasted pumpkin seeds and cranberries. It was a unique blend of ingredients that all worked incredibly well together. I knew I had to recreate it at home.
While I couldn’t find chicory root (I’m not even sure where to look for that), I was able to easily find everything else. Spring mix, spinach, kale broccoli, brussels sprouts, pumpkin seeds (I just roasted some raw ones in my oven for a few minutes) and cranberries are all key components to this superfood-packed salad. Since our little one gobbled up all of our avocado I decided I’d stay as true as possible to the “original’ one 🙂
All that was left to do was come up with a dressing that tasted like the one packed with the mix. It was slightly sweet, creamy and flecked with lots of little poppy seeds. I scoured the internet for inspiration and then went to work whisking up my own version. To keep things on the healthier side I used a combination of greek yogurt, mayo, olive oil and water. Apple cider vinegar and minced shallot made the dressing perfectly tangy while a few teaspoons of sugar balanced it all. And let’s not forget the poppy seeds… I love that bit of crunch!
This salad has quickly become a favorite! You can’t go wrong with a plate packed full of veggies and drizzled with a healthy homemade dressing. With a salad as filling and delicious as this one, I’d say it’s time to rethink your lunch or jazz up that dinner salad! Go forth and get your superfood salad on!
- 2 c. lightly packed spinach or spring mix greens
- 1 c. kale
- 3 brussels sprouts, sliced
- ½ c. broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp. baked pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 3 tbsp. dried cranberries
- For the poppy seed dressing*:
- 1 tbsp. shallot, chopped
- 3 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1½ tbsp. poppy seeds
- Add greens to a large dinner plate or salad bowl. Top with the brussels sprout slices, broccoli florets, baked pepitas and dried cranberries.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients whisking vigorously until emulsified. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
Recipe source: dressing adapted from Pinch of Yum