It’s been a while since I’ve posted a soup here on the blog! Usually I make big batches of soup in the fall and winter, but this year we were extra busy taking care of our little one and figuring the whole parenting thing out. Maybe come October I’ll dig those recipes up, make them and post them for you! Deal? For now this Thai chicken noodle soup will have to do. Ever since we discovered a little Thai place in south Salt Lake City, we’ve been obsessed with all things Thai! This soup is not authentic by any means, instead it’s a twist on one of my favorites: classic chicken noodle soup. Red curry and coconut milk help give this dish its distinct flavor and udon noodles replace traditional egg noodles. It’s easy to make, comes together quickly and can serve a crowd. Ready to get started?!
First things first, you’re going to want to cook the udon noodles until they are al dente (to the tooth) or until they are soft with a little bite (not fully cooked). That way when they are added into the soup at the end, they don’t become mushy and fall apart. Just be careful, read the directions on the package because they cook quickly! Strain them, rinse them under COLD water and then set them aside. Now in a large stock pot or dutch oven, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the sliced carrots, minced ginger, curry paste and salt. Whisk to combine, add the cooked & sliced chicken and simmer until the carrots are fork tender. Next add the coconut milk, lime juice and udon noodles. Simmer for about 5 more minutes, remove from heat and serve!
Garnish your soup with lime slices or kaffir lime leaves (they add lots of great flavor but you usually have to purchase them at a specialty market) or eat as is. We absolutely loved this soup! I hope you will too! It’s light, vibrant and full of great flavor. It would be great with pork instead of chicken or with additional vegetables like bok choy and mushrooms. Enjoy!!!
- 6 oz. extra wide udon noodles or soba
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1½ c. So Delicious® Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1 chicken breast or 3 thighs (cooked), sliced, shredded or cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced in ¼" rounds
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp. Thai red curry paste
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional garnishes:
- Kaffir lime leaves
- Lime wedges or slices
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add and cook the udon noodles until they are al dente (firm) so that they can finish cooking once they are added to the soup. Drain and rinse noodles under very cold water, set aside.
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the carrots, ginger, salt and curry paste, whisk to combine. Add the cooked chicken. Bring the mixture down to a simmer and continue cooking until the carrots are tender.
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice and udon noodles. Simmer for 5 minutes, then garnish if desired and serve.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
This recipe was entered into the So Delicious and godairyfree.org March Recipe Madness Competition.