My search for the ultimate fudgy brownie is over. It’s been a long journey but I think I’ve finally found a brownie recipe that I really love! It’s dark, it’s fudgy and it’s really rich! Best of all, it’s got a nice crisp top that cracks when you bite into it. Adding espresso powder helped to enhance the chocolate flavor and adding baking soda gave these an extra lift which eliminated any battery goo that might have otherwise resulted. I tossed in three kinds of chocolate to create the ultimate chocolatey brownie, but I think peanut butter chips or maybe even thin mints would be really good too! I took these to a family reunion and they were gone in about 15 minutes, everyone loved them! I hope you’ll give this recipe a try, because I think you’re going to love them too! P.S. See the note below if you’re using an 8×8 pan.
Triple Chocolate Brownies
1 c. all-purpose flour
1¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2½ c. sugar
1⅓ c. (2 sticks + 6 tbsp) butter
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. espresso powder
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. milk chocolate chips
½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ c. bittersweet chocolate chips (60%)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment or foil, set aside.
2. In a large double boiler, melt butter then add espresso powder, mixing to dissolve. Add sugar and cook until the mixture becomes smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for 20 minutes.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cooled (really it can be slightly warm) butter mixture and vanilla. With mixing speed on low add one egg at a time, mixing just until incorporated.
4. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients. Mix until no flour pockets remain. Remove bowl from stand and fold in the three kinds of chocolate chips.
5. Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the brownies are set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 45 minutes before cutting and serving.
NOTE: This recipe is for a 9×13 pan. You can make a half recipe and bake it in an 8×8 square pan for the same amount of time.
Adapted from Bittersweet, by Alice Medrich | Makes approximately 24 brownies
See All Products
Lil' Luna Products
Total Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cakes & Cheesecakes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Pastries, Pies & Tarts
Total Time: 4 hours 42 minutes