Tuscan Chicken and Rice Skillet
This tuscan chicken and rice skillet is quick, flavorful and packed full of veggies and protein. It’s the perfect one-pot meal!
Now that we have two kids, I’m all about simple one-pot dishes. You’ve probably heard that here before. It’s true though. Three years ago I would have loved to spend a few hours whipping up something in the kitchen. These days I’ve got about 45 minutes top. That’s where this tuscan chicken and rice skillet comes in.
Everything is done in the same pan! ???? It doesn’t get easier than that. Start by searing the chicken, then saute the veggies and toast the rice. Pour in the liquid and cook the rice. Towards the end of the cooking time for the rice, add the chicken and asparagus. Remove from the heat, fluff the rice and garnish with parsley and parmesan shavings. Devour immediately!
This skillet was so flavorful and filling! The best part though? It was so effortless. I can’t wait to experiment with more dishes just like this one… they’re totally going to save us at dinner time!
Tuscan Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts - halved and seasoned*
- 12 small crimini mushrooms - or 2 medium portabellos, sliced
- 2 large shallots - diced
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes - chopped**
- 1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 1/2 cup short-grained arborio rice
- 3 1/2-4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus - chopped into 2" pieces
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook undisturbed for about 3-4 minutes or until it has a nice sear, then flip and sear again. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they're nice and brown. Add the shallots and garlic, cook until translucent and fragrant. Add the tomatoes, artichokes and rice, stirring until everything is coated with oil. Pour in the broth, and stir gently to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 14 minutes, then remove the lid and add the chicken and asparagus. Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, garnish with chopped parsley and shaved parmesan, if desired.
**I used marinated sundried tomatoes and removed the oil. You can also use ones that aren't marinated 🙂