Chewy, gooey and totally irresistible! These loaded Valentine’s M&M cookie bars are sure to be a hit with your sweetheart!
A few weeks ago one of my friends from California was in town and stopped by to hang out with us. She was interested in seeing the “process” behind these posts so we hopped in the kitchen and made these bars. I had originally planned on making something a little more exciting (chocolate tiramisu… still in the works btw) but life got busy, the kiddos had a snow day and I was way too tired to prep the night before.
These bars were something my 2 and 4 year old could help make, and they did! Lisa is probably reading this and giggling. They were such a hoot. Whisking and dumping and sneaking mix-ins here and there. #momlife ?
We started by chopping up a bar of semisweet chocolate. I prefer using a bar for this recipe so that you get those gooey pockets of melty chocolate. The we measured out some Valentine’s M&Ms, and dumped in a good amount of sprinkles… ha!
After the dough was mixed we folded in those mix-ins and pressed it into a lined 9×13-inch baking pan. They baked for about 30 minutes (we like ours to be pretty golden brown) and then we pulled them and let them cool before cutting into them.
They were chewy, gooey and LOADED with chocolate. The kids loved them and so did we! My oldest begged me to make them again for his Valentine’s party. ?
These Valentine’s M&M cookie bars are easy to make and completely irresistible! You can easily switch up the colors of the mix-ins for any special occasion. The base is so versatile. Don’t like chopped chocolate? Add chips. Don’t want sprinkles? Add nuts! Want to go a completely different route? Add white chocolate and macadamia nuts instead. The options are endless! Enjoy!
Valentine's M&M Cookie Bars
- 14 tbsp. 1 3/4 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. brown sugar - packed
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 eggs + 2 yolks
- 2 c. + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 2/3 c. M&Ms
- 2/3 c. chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2-3 tbsp. pink - red or white sprinkles (jimmies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or foil, set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl melt 3/4 cup of the butter (or in a small saucepan over the stovetop*).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until light, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, then egg and egg yolks one at a time, mixing until just combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients mixing until no flour pockets remain. Remove bowl from stand and fold in M&Ms, chocolate chunks and sprinkles.
- Spread the dough into the pan creating an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the blondies are medium golden brown in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.