20 Minute Spicy Thai Noodle Bowls
One of my favorite things to order out is Thai food. There’s a little place just south of downtown Salt Lake City that has the best pad Thai. I crave it 24/7! So I thought it would be fun to make a noodle bowl that incorporates some of those flavors that I love so much. And let me tell you… it doesn’t get any easier than this! Just 20 minutes start to finish and you’ve got a pot full of sweet, spicy, peanuty noodles. Mmmm.
Like I mentioned above, this recipe is really quick and easy. However it is by no means authentic. I used spaghetti for the noodles. Go ahead, judge me, but it works perfectly and was something I had on hand. If you want to purchase rice noodles you could definitely use them instead. Anyway, as part of the Peanut Butter & Co’s Yum Squad, I was challenged to use their peanut butter in a recipe along with Sriracha. This spicy Thai noodle bowl seemed like the perfect way to combine the two ingredients!
So are you ready to get started? Fill a large pot full of water and bring it to a boil. While you’re waiting on it boil and for the spaghetti to cook, do all of your prep work. Chop the peanuts, red pepper, carrots and cilantro. Then make the sauce. In a small mixing bowl combine the vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, peanut butter (I the Peanut Butter & Co’s “The Bee’s Knees” for the added sweetness), honey, minced garlic and minced green onion. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
When the spaghetti is al dente, drain it and pour in the sauce. Add in the red pepper, carrots, cilantro, peanuts, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Then stir, stir, stir. Serve warm or cold and garnish with extra peanuts! If you want to make this more substantial you can add shrimp or chicken which will help bulk it up a bit- but with meat or without, I guarantee you’re going to love it!
Our family slurped and gobbled away… even our 18 month old loved the noodles. And the cold leftovers were great the next day for lunch. I’m always a fan of throw-it-in-a-bowl-and-devour-it kind of leftovers for lunch, how about you? Make sure to visit Peanut Butter & Co to see all of their unique and delicious peanut butter flavors!
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- ¼ c. vegetable or canola oil
- 1½ tsp. sesame oil
- 5 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. Sriracha (more to taste)*
- ¼ c. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ⅓ c. cilantro, chopped
- ½ c. dry roasted peanuts (I used Planters), chopped and whole
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Bring a large pot water to boil. Add spaghetti and cook till al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, Sriracha, peanut butter, honey, minced garlic and minced green onion. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Drain the noodles and return to the same large pot. Add the sauce, red bell pepper, carrot, cilantro, peanuts, crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Toss until combined, serve and garnish as desired.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple