Pesto Chicken Pizza
My favorite homemade pizza crust topped with a vibrant pesto sauce, mozzarella, chicken. and a sprinkle of pine nuts. This pesto chicken pizza is fresh, flavorful and absolutely perfect for summer!
Garden fresh basil pesto is a staple at our house, especially during the summer months. We always have a little leftover from the previous night’s dinner, which means I’m constantly looking for ways to use it up. This pizza was the perfect solution. It made easy, effortless “sauce” that was fresh and flavorful.
All we had to do was grab a ball of pizz dough, slice up some seasoned chicken we had (also leftover) and grate a handful of mozzarella cheese. We spread most of the pesto over the crust, and tossed the chicken in what was left. After sprinkling on the cheese we added a handful of pine nuts on top & then tossed it in the oven to cook for about 8 minutes. It came out looking amazing!
After cooling off for a few minutes, broke a few leaves off of our basil plant and sprinkled them on along with some grated parmesan and a pinch of red pepper flakes. I absolutely loved this pizza! So simple yet so flavorful.
If you love pesto as much as we do, you’ve gotta give this pizza a try. It’s unique, delicious and a great way to use up fresh basil!
- For the dough:
- 1 ball pizza dough (recipe HERE)
- For the sauce:
- ⅓ c. pesto (recipe HERE)
- For the crust:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- For the toppings:
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. seasoned grilled chicken (optional)
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Make dough according to the recipe's directions (or use store-bought dough); set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment-lined pizza pan. Fold over the extra inch of dough to form the crust, pressing to seal. Brush with olive oil. Dock the center of the pizza with a fork to prevent large bubbles from forming. Place in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Spread the ¼ cup of the pesto over top, then half of the mozzarella cheese. Toss the chicken in the remaining pesto and add the chicken, then top with remaining mozzarella and the pine nuts.
- Place in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with grated parmesan, fresh basil and red pepper flakes, cut and serve.
-Don't want chicken? It's delicious without it too!
-You can easily double this recipe!
-If you want to add even more flavor to this pizza, try brushing the crust with olive oil right after it comes out of the oven and the sprinkle it with a bit of garlic salt!
Recipe source: Life Made Simple