Hawaiian BBQ Pizza
My favorite pizza crust topped with barbecue sauce, pineapple, ham, bacon and lots of cheese. This unique and flavorful Hawaiian-style bbq pizza is always a hit with our family!
I’m back with another pizza recipe! This sweet & tangy pizza is one of my favorites, and probably one of the easiest to make. You don’t have to worry about doing anything fancy for the sauce, all you need is a bottle of BBQ sauce. Easy, right?
You’ll want to pre-bake the pizza crust a bit before you spread the sauce over top. This method allows your crust to rise and to get a nice little tan before you add the toppings, which in this case (and almost always) are pre-cooked. Your cheese will get melty and golden brown and the onions will get nice and tender without burning. The crust will be nice and crisp and the bottom will be the perfect thickness. It’s a win-win for everyone involved! And by everyone, I mean the pizza and you! ☺️
We’ve made this pizza a few times this summer and it never disappoints. We love adding grilled chicken to it (I like to toss it in a bit of sauce for even more flavor) when we have it on hand, but it’s just as delicious without it. Don’t forget to sprinkle a bit of chopped cilantro and crushed red pepper flakes on it after it cools, you’ll be glad you did! Enjoy 🙂
- For the dough:
- 1 ball pizza dough (try my recipe HERE)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- For the toppings:
- ¼ c. BBQ sauce
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ⅔ c. cubed ham
- 5 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ c. pineapple tidbits
- Thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Make dough according to the recipe's directions (or use store-bought dough); set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment-lined pizza pan. Fold over the extra inch of dough to form the crust, pressing to seal. Brush with olive oil. Dock the center of the pizza with a fork to prevent large bubbles from forming. Place in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Spread the BBQ sauce over top, then half of the mozzarella cheese. Add the ham, bacon and pineapple tidbits, then top with remaining mozzarella and the sliced red onion (however much you prefer).
- Place in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes. Allow to cool for 2-3 additional minutes, then cut and serve.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple