Sausage, Pepper and Rice Skillet
Smoky kielbasa sizzled with sweet bell pepper, onions and garlic in vibrant tomato sauce. This quick and easy sausage, pepper and rice skillet is downright delicious!
Today I’m sharing another quick and easy meal with you guys. This is one we’ve made twice now and I just love how simple, yet flavorful it is. Grab your skillet and let’s get cooking!
First, you’ll want cook your rice. I grabbed a small saucepan and had it simmering away while I made everything else. Timing is key, but if you do everything it the right order, it’ll be done when you need it. Next, brown the sausage. I used kielbasa, however, andouille would work well too. Get it nice and crispy, then spoon it off to a plate for later. Season and saute the peppers, onion, and garlic, get them nice and tender (I find half of a red bell pepper and half of a red bell pepper is perfect- we tossed the leftovers in these noodles later in the week). Again, once the veggies are cooked, spoon them off and save them for later.
Now comes the fun part! Add your tomato paste, then the chicken broth, then whisk, whisk, whisk! Once the mixture bubbles and thickens add the paprika and cayenne, then the rice. Stir EVERYTHING together, then add a pinch of freshly chopped parsley. That’s it! You’re done! Easy, right? We’ve added peas to this dish to up the veggies and it was just as delicious. The next time you’re on the hunt for a quick, flavorful & filling meal, give this recipe a try!
- 1¼ c. short-grain white rice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package smoked sausage
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small white onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. kosher sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1¼ c. low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1½ tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a small saucepan, cook according to the package's directions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. After the oil shimmers, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Add the tomato paste and about ¾ cup of chicken broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cooked rice, sausage, remaining chicken broth, pepper and onions until combined. Garnish with chopped parsley, serve immediately.
-For a "Cajun" version, use andouille sausage + ½ tsp. cajun seasoning
Recipe source: Life Made Simple inspired by Cozy Apron