Coconut Oil Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars
Thick, chewy and totally irresistible! You’d never guess that these coconut oil chocolate chunk cookie bars are 100% dairy free.
Who here loves baking with coconut oil? I do! 🙋 I’ve come quite a long way these past 6, almost 7 months. I feel like I actually know how to use both kinds and how to swap butter for oil. One of my biggest struggles with going completely soy and dairy free was finding a good recipe for brownies and chocolate chip cookies. I’ve shared both here on the blog, and today I’m sharing a easy, no-fuss cookie bar recipe too.
So what makes this recipe so special? Aside from it being completely dairy AND soy free, it has those thick, crispy edges and soft, semi-gooey centers. Basically everything you could want in a chocolate chip cookie, only in bar form.
No scooping involved, no babysitting multiple batches as the go in and out of the oven, and best of all, that flaky meringue topping. 😍 Swoon!
You’ll start by melting the coconut oil in the microwave. I like to do this in a large glass mixing bowl, that way I don’t have to dirty another dish. Take care not to overheat the oil or you’ll scramble the eggs. I generally do 1 minute on half power, then 30 second increments until just a few chunks remain. The rest can be whisked until it melts.
Add equal parts granulated and brown sugar, then the vanilla, followed by the two eggs. Next comes the
strange unique part of the recipe. You’ll whisk the mixture for 30 seconds, then let it rest for 3 minutes and repeat twice. Sounds funny and kind of unnecessary, right? I thought so too, but it actually helps develop the crust on the bars. I tested this recipe three times and the one time I omitted this step, they came out pale and unappetizing.
Next whisk together the dry ingredients (taking care not to overmeasure the flour), and fold them into the wet ingredients along with chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. There are a few dairy-free and soy-free chocolates out there, however if you’re not restricted due to allergies, feel free to use your favorite bar.
I like to chop up the chunks in various sizes. Uniformity isn’t my strong point. 😉 I love getting little flecks and big chunks in each bite.
Bake the bars until they’re golden brown. Make sure the centers are set. You can do so by inserting a cake tester or toothpick directly in the center of the bars. A few moist crumbs should stick, but it should not be liquid or doughy.
Let the bars cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving. This step is important because they firm up as the cool.
If by some odd chance you happen to have leftovers DO NOT store them in the refrigerator. These bars should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Coconut oil solidifies and these bars will go from being soft and chewy to hard as a rock. Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything… ok, I totally am!
Whether you’re feeling adventurous or baking with coconut oil out of necessity, I know you’re going to love these coconut oil chocolate chunk cookie bars. How could you not?!
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
- 1/4 c. unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 c. refined coconut oil
- 3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 c. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, add the coconut oil, microwave just until melted. Add sugars and vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Add eggs, mix well after each addition.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in dry ingredients along with the chopped chocolate.
- Transfer dough to baking pan and spread into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before cutting and slicing. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If you have an allergy, please read all labels carefully when choosing chocolate.