Everything Bagel Pretzels
These foolproof everything bagel pretzels are going to be your go-to snack. Quick, easy and practically effortless. No rise or water bath needed!
Carbs are definitely my weakness. I’m not afraid to admit that. I probably eat waaaay more carbs than I should, but right now carbs and protein are the only two things keeping me full (and sane).
A few months ago when we were shopping at Trader Joe’s I grabbed a jar of their everything bagel seasoning. I couldn’t help myself, I LOVE everything bagels and so do my kids. I thought it would be fun to make bagel-style soft pretzels for an after school snack.
They taste just like the real deal only made in 45 minutes, with minimal effort, no waiting for the dough to rise, and no boiling in baking soda. Simple and delicious. That’s how we roll when it comes to snacks.
This recipe is one I’ve made hundreds of times. Back in middle school we had a cafe to raise money for field trips and extra curricular activities. Soft pretzels with homemade cheese sauce was our top selling item. Making them always brings back fond memories!
Shaping pretzels may seem intimidating, but I promise it’s easier than you think. I’ve shown the three easy steps in the pictures above. The pretzels will be larger or smaller depending on how many you make. A standard recipe yields 4 xl pretzles or 6 large pretzels.
Once you have them twisted, place them on a baking sheet and brush them with a mix of melted butter and egg. This will help give them a nice crust and golden brown color as they bake. No boiling is necessary.
Sprinkle the everything seasoning over top and a few pinches of flaky sea salt too. Trust me on that one!
P.S. if you don’t have access to Trader Joe’s seasoning, you can make you own at home.
Homemade everything bagel seasoning recipe:
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
Place in the oven and bake at 425 degrees. Yes, that’s correct! Remember, we’re trying to give them a nice crust.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes until they’re cool enough to tear into!
These everything bagel pretzels are delicious on their own or with melted butter. They’re completely irresistible!
Is there a recipe you know by memory? One that you could make off the top of your head? Let me know below!
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Everything Bagel Pretzels
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. warm water
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- ¼ tsp. salt
For the wash:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp. everything bagel seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add warm water. Sprinkle yeast and allow it to dissolve for 6 minutes. Add sugar and mix for 15 seconds. With mixing speed on low add salt, then the flour a half cup at a time.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment (or place dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes), mix on low for 4 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into 4 or 6 equal size pieces. Roll each ball into a long rope, about 18-22 inches in length. Take the ends of the “rope” and bring together to form a circle. Twist the ends together once and bring down to the bottom of the circle. Press ends into the dough so that they will stick. Place onto prepared baking sheets.
- Using a pastry brush, coat each pretzel with egg/butter wash. Sprinkle with seasoning and salt.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes before serving.