Creamy ambrosia salad is loaded with pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut and miniature fruit-flavored marshmallows.
What is Ambrosia Salad?
You may be wondering what exactly ambrosia salad is. It is an American creamy fruit salad with marshmallows. It is typically served as a side (but could be a dessert) at potlucks, BBQs, or family gatherings. This recipe is super simple to make, and always a crowd-pleaser!
While there are different variations of this salad, it typically includes whipped cream as the base and is flavored with pistachio pudding mix. The mix ins can vary, but marshmallows tend to be a staple.
Because it is filled with so much fruit is is a rather refreshing salad and is perfect for spring and summer. There is a nice balance of creamy and crunchy for a tasty bite-full!
Making Ambrosia Fruit Salad
MIX. Add the whipped topping, sour cream, pistachio pudding mix to a large bowl and mix together.
FOLD. Add oranges, pineapples, pecans, apples, coconuts, marshmallows and cherries to the bowl and FOLD them into the cream topping.
CHILL. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Garnish with remaining cherries.
Tips & Variations
Make sure that all ingredients are cut into bite-size pieces so it is easier to enjoy a spoonful.
Variations: Try adding any of the following ingredients in addition to or in place of what’s listed in the recipe.
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped Almonds
- Flavored marshmallows
- Chopped Pistachios
- Vanilla pudding mix
- Diced pears
- Sliced bananas (add right before serving, and must be consumed immediately)
Storing & Serving
STORE it in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
FREEZING this isn’t the best idea because it will be soupy and the texture can change after thawing it.
You should make this a few hours before serving so it can chill and be cold when you serve it to your guests. If you choose to do this you make sure to drain all of the juice from the canned fruit. This will prevent the salad from becoming too soupy.
Do not let this sit out for longer than 2 hours. Ultimately it should remain cold when serving, so if it ever gets warm you risk it getting gross!
For More Fruity desserts, try:
Ambrosia Salad Recipe
- 2 1/2 c low fat frozen whipped topping - thawed
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 (3.4oz) box Instant Pistachio Pudding mix
- 1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple - drained
- 1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges - drained
- 1/2 c pecans - chopped
- 1 c chopped apples - skin on
- 1 1/2 c shredded coconut
- 2 c fruity miniature marshmallows
- 1 c Maraschino Cherries - save a few for garnish
- Add the whipped topping, sour cream, pistachio pudding mix to a large bowl and mix together.
- Add oranges, pineapples, pecans, apples, coconuts, marshmallows and cherries to the bowl and FOLD them into the cream topping.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Garnish with remaining cherries.