BBQ Chicken Salad
Since it doesn’t feel anything like fall here in Virginia (still 90+ degrees), I thought I’d share one final summer-inspired recipe. It’s a salad that our entire family enjoys. You read that right, everyone loves this loaded BBQ chicken salad!
I know some people think salads are boring, or even impossible to serve to little kids, but you just have to choose your ingredients wisely. Since we have a 3 and 5 year old eating with us, I try and make sure that when serving salads as the main dish, they are loaded with all of their favorite toppings.
This salad was perfect because it didn’t have cherry tomatoes (they’re not a fan) or any kind of hot pepper (they like a little heat but nothing too overpowering). Instead it was topped with fresh corn, black beans, finely diced red onion, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips, shredded cheese, our favorite chicken, BBQ sauce, and ranch dressing. All of which get two
big little thumbs up.
Did I mention that everything comes together in 30 minutes? Huge mom points!!
Plus it’s a great way to use up leftover odds and ends. Sometimes we’ll clean out the fridge after making this dish or this soup and we can toss in those small amounts of random ingredients in. Another win!
If you’re looking for a delicious AND healthy tex-mex style salad, look no further. This one is great for busy weeknights or entertaining. It easily feed a crowd or be portioned out into containers for weekly meal prep.
Have you tried BBQ and ranch together? We love the sweet and tangy combo!
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
BBQ Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 oz. mixed spring greens - washed and dried
- 2 tsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 c. fresh or frozen corn
- 1 c. black beans - rinsed
- 1/4 c. finely diced red onion
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- 2/3 c. tortilla strips
- 1 c. shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 avocado - cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 c. BBQ sauce
- 1/4 c. ranch dressing
- Follow instructions for cooking chicken breast here.
- While the chicken is baking, in a small skillet set over medium-low heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the corn and cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the black beans. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In an extra large bowl or four individual salad bowls, add the greens, onion, cilantro, tortilla strips, cheese, avocado, corn, and black beans. Cube chicken and add on top.
- Drizzle with ranch and BBQ sauce, serve immediately.