Blueberry Crumble Muffins
These blueberry crumble muffins are sure to become a summer favorite! They’re tender, fluffy, filled with juicy blueberries, and topped with a buttery cinnamon crumble.
I think I may have mentioned it a few posts back, but I’m slowly starting to breathe new life into some of the old post here on LMS. I’ve been re-testing recipes and re-photographing them so that they’re at the top of their game just for you! These blueberry crumble muffins are ones we’ve made several times over the past years, and they’re always a hit!
They can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries which is always nice! That means you can bake up a fresh batch of these in the middle of winter and still enjoy the bounty of summer!
I typically stick with vanilla extract in this recipe, however, we have made it with 1/2 tsp. of almond extract in the batter and 1/4 cup of sliced almonds in the topping and they were divine! You can also swap out the blueberries for any fruit (peaches, blackberries, raspberries etc) if you don’t have them on hand or just feel like something different. This recipe is SO versatile. Just make sure you pick up vanilla yogurt or something that pairs well with the fruit you’re using.
While I absolutely love these bakery style blueberry muffins, it’s hard to resist the crumb topping on these lovely muffins! You don’t need a pastry blender or any fancy tool to make it. Just melt the butter and mix it in along with all of the other ingredients. You can use your hands to press everything together, which will help form nice chunks of topping.
Fill the liners up nice and full and bake the muffins until they’re golden brown on top, about 22 minutes. Let them cool for a good 15 minutes or so, then slather them with butter and enjoy!!
Looking for healthier blueberry muffins? I’ve got you covered! Try these AMAZING whole wheat blueberry muffins!
Blueberry Crumble Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup blueberry yogurt - full fat
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries - OR frozen blueberries
For the Crumb Topping
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch kosher sea salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one standard size muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sour cream, yogurt, milk, and vanilla, mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the egg and mix just until combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, do not over-mix.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold in the blueberries. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each liner ¾ of the way full.
- To make the crumb topping, combine all of ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix until wet. Using your hands, press the mixture together, forming coarse crumbs. Generously sprinkle tops with crumble, pressing it down into the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 22-24 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown in color. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.