Ok, I know I say this almost every time I share an ice cream recipe, but this one has got to be the best! It’s rich, chocolatey, swirled with fudge and studded with chunks of brownie. Take just one bite and you’ll be hooked for life!
Soooo I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for almost a week now. But life happens… actually, a baby happened! We welcomed a new little one into our family this past weekend and couldn’t be happier! I’m sure you can imagine how little time I have now to bake/photograph/blog recipes, but I’ve got a few good ones lined up for you, just like this one.
Raise your hand if you love chocolate! I know I do! I especially love a good creamy rich chocolate ice cream. Add bits of freshly baked brownie and homemade hot fudge to it and you’ll probably never get a scoop for yourself 😉 In all seriousness though, this ice cream is so darn good! I love how tender and fudgy the brownies get and the swirl of fudge that runs through every spoonful. If you don’t want to take the time to make homemade add-ins, you can certainly buy a container of hot fudge sauce and used a boxed mix for the brownies… it’ll taste just as good, I promise!
The one thing you’ll need for this recipe is an ice cream maker. I love my KitchenAid attachment, but any one will do. Unfortunately this is not a no-churn ice cream. It’s an egg-based recipe that requires churning to create that perfect silky texture. That said, there’s a great little tutorial for making ice cream without a machine, you can find that here.
Next time you’re in the mood for a rich, creamy chocolate ice cream I hope you’ll give this one a try! It’s truly is a chocolate lover’s dream! Enjoy & happy churning 🙂
Brownie Fudge Swirl Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup whole milk - divided
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder - Dutch process cocoa powder
- 5 oz semisweet chocolate - chopped
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup brownie pieces - chopped
- 1/4 cup hot fudge sauce
- In a medium saucepan, warm the heavy cream with the cocoa powder, whisking to blend cocoa.
- Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat and add in the semisweet chocolate. Stir until smooth. Then add 1 c. of whole milk, stirring until smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl along with the vanilla extract. Set a mesh sieve over the bowl.
- Warm the remaining milk along with the sugar and salt in the same saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yolks lightly. Slowly pour the warm milk, sugar and salt mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan to cook. Constantly stir the mixture over medium heat with a heat resistant spatula, scraping the sides and bottom. The mixture will begin to thicken and coat the spatula (it should also reach 170 degrees on a thermometer). Remove immediately and pour through the mesh sieve into the chocolate mixture.
- Place the bowl over an ice bath to cool and then place in the refrigerator to chill thoroughly (approximately 30 min - 1 hour).
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker according to the manufacture’s instructions. Churn for 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile (towards the end of the churning process), chop the brownie into chunks and stir the fudge sauce till smooth.
- Remove bowl from mixer, fold in the brownie chunks, then pour into an air-tight freezer safe container. Swirl the fudge throughout. Cover and freeze for 4-6 hours before serving.