Homemade Chicken and Dumplings filled with flavor, carrots, celery and more. The whole family will enjoy this recipe that include dumplings made from scratch!
We love hearty chicken dishes like today’s recipe! Filled with so much flavor like our Creamy Tuscan Chicken and Potatoes and our Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler, these chicken recipes are sure to become family favorites!
Full of Flavor
We have so many fond memories of making this soup since we were young!! With homemade dumplings, so much flavor, veggies and chicken – this soup is hard to pass up.
There are so many ways to make this soup and loads of ways to change it up. We love this version because the dumplings are to DIE for and the ingredients are ones we always have on hand.
We used a rotisserie chicken to make things more simple for this recipe. It added even more flavor and made this soup better than we remembered!
We divided this up between SOUP ingredients and DUMPLINGS ingredients.
For the soup, you’ll need: butter, celery, onion (1 tbsp onion powder works too), carrots, garlic, flour, chicken broth, half and half, chicken and seasonings like: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme.
For the dumplings, you’ll need: flour, baking powder, sea salt, milk and butter.
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
This is one of those recipes that is simple to change up based on preference.
- If you want your soup more CREAMY, add a can of cream of chicken. If you want it LESS CREAMY, add more broth.
- Wanted to use REFRIGERATED BISCUITS? Use this simple version!
- MEATS. Ham is also a great sub for chicken. 😉
- If you’re looking to add more VEGGIES, throw in some peas or even corn!
- Head to Betty Crocker if you want to try a Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings.
Let us know how you change it up by commenting below. 😉
Storing Tips + Side Suggestions
To store this recipe, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. We typically don’t freeze this recipe because the dumplings can fall apart, but keep that in mind in case you do want to freeze it. Just cool completely before storing.
For SIDES, we love to go with veggies . You can do bread but you get that with the dumplings portion of this recipe. Some of the best veggies include peas, creamed spinach, corn on the cob, roasted vegetables or even salad. Here are some of our favorite salads to serve this with:
For more chicken recipes, check out:
- Chicken Stroganoff
- Rustic Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter - ½ stick)
- 2 stalks celery - sliced
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 1 c. julienned (matchstick) carrot
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 (32 oz.) box low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup half & half
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 ½ - 3 cups rotisserie chicken - pulled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter - (½ stick), melted
- Place a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add butter. Once melted add celery and saute for 4 minutes. Add onion and carrot, continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour and whisk until thickened and lightly golden in color. Slowly pour in chicken broth, whisking constantly. Slowly add in milk, whisking constantly. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the dumplings, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the milk and melted butter, using a spatula fold until a soft, clumpy dough forms. Do not over-mix.
- After simmering for 20 minutes, stir in the chicken.
- Using a standard or large size cookie scoop, scoop biscuit dough over top of soup. Gently press the dumplings into the liquid, submerging them slightly, then let them pop back up to the surface. Note: some of the dumplings will be overlapping, that's ok.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve immediately.