If you love soup, you’ve got to try this thick and delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup that is ready in 45 minutes! It’s loaded with veggies and protein, plus it’s naturally gluten free and dairy free!
Today’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is one that I’m really excited to share. It’s a combo of bean soup and tortilla soup, and it’s one that I absolutely love! I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m always trying to sneak in more protein and more veggies into our meals.
My kids can be kind of picky when it comes to soup, however, they’re obsessed with beans, so I knew this would be a hit. It only takes 45 minutes to whip up and can be topped with just about anything- tortilla strips, cilantro, sour cream, cheese or even avocado!
The base of this soup is pretty standard. Sauté the veggies, toast the spices, then mix in the pureed beans. Wait, whaaa? Yep.
What makes this soup thick (and *almost* creamy) is pureed cannellini beans. It adds a ton of protein to this soup AND gives it a great texture. I know you’re doubting me right now, but trust me, it works!
Along with the pureed beans you’ll add a can of white beans, a can of black beans, fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis, chicken broth and corn.
Let it simmer for a good 10 minutes, add some shredded chicken (I shredded my own but you can use rotisserie if that’s more convenient) and give it another 10 minutes.
Serve it up and enjoy!
This Chicken Tortilla Soup was the perfect cozy soup for a cold winter day. It was flavorful and filling yet surprisingly light and healthy. We couldn’t help but go back for seconds. Best of all, it only took 45 minutes to make!
Storing and Reheating Info
Allow the chicken tortilla soup to cool to room temperature, then store without the tortilla strips and cilantro garnishes in an airtight container in the fridge. The soup will be good for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 tbsp jalapeno - minced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch ground black pepper
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans cannellini beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can white beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cup frozen corn - thawed
- 3 cup chicken - shredded
- 2 limes - juiced
- tortilla strips
- cilantro - chopped
- In a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeno and garlic, saute for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree 2 cans of cannellini beans (do not drain the liquid) in food processor until silky smooth.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, and ground black pepper until fragrant.
- Add pureed beans, remaining can of cannellini beans, white beans, black beans, tomatoes, chicken broth and frozen corn, and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the chicken and lime juice and continue simmering for 10 additional minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve with tortilla strips and chopped cilantro.