Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thick, chewy and totally irresistible! You’d never guess that these coconut oil chocolate chip cookies are completely dairy free!
I’m no stranger to using coconut oil in cookies. The first time I used coconut oil in a chocolate chip cookie recipe was about four years ago when our first son struggled with a milk protein allergy. Back then (I know, I’m making it seem like it was a decade ago) it was a lot harder to find dairy/soy free products.
I had just made an amazing chocolate coconut muffin recipe but wanted something for those late night cravings… you know the kind you get after a really, really long day. The ones that don’t go away no matter how many healthy snacks you eat to try to curb said craving. ?
It got to the point where I felt like I couldn’t eat ANYTHING sweet because EVERYTHING had traces of soy or dairy. And let me tell you, it hasn’t gotten any better over the years. So I had to get a little creative. That’s when I first made these coconut oil oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They’re still a favorite!
Now that I’m back on the dairy/soy free thing for our newest little addition I’m struggling all over again. It seems like if one thing doesn’t have dairy in it then it has soy, and vice versa.
I’ve been testing all sorts of desserts using coconut products and I’m incredibly happy with the results! These coconut oil chocolate chip cookies were made on a busy weeknight right before we had a guest over. They only took 25 minutes to make (start to finish) and tasted just like the real deal!
I’m pretty particular about the taste and texture of recipes, especially when using “substitutes,” so when I say these are good, they’re GOOD…
…eat half of the pan good. ??
The first thing you’re going to want to do is grab some coconut oil. I used a mixture of refined (almost flavorless) and unrefined (full coconut flavor) coconut oil. I found that using slightly more unrefined coconut oil gave these cookies a nice mild, almost buttery flavor. You can use whatever you have on hand.
Melt the coconut oil in a large microwave-safe bowl. This shouldn’t take long. You don’t want piping hot coconut oil or you’ll ruin your eggs. It should be lukewarm. About a 30 seconds on half power was enough for me since my coconut oil was already fairly soft.
Mix in the sugars and vanilla extract. Yes, we’re using 2 teaspoons- it adds much needed flavor! Make sure you use quality extract!!
The mixture will seem oily and grainy. That’s ok. Whisk in the eggs, mixing well after each addition.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients along with the chocolate. For this particular recipe I used a mix of semisweet chunks and bittersweet chips. You can use whatever combo you prefer.
The dough will seem extremely soft and a little oily (like it is in the picture above). If the dough is too hard to scoop, you can refrigerate it for 20 minutes before using, however, I didn’t find that necessary in my case.
Sprinkle each ball of cookie dough with an extra pinch of flaky sea salt- you won’t regret it! Bake until golden brown on the edges, about 10-11 minutes. Once cooled, serve with a BIG glass of milk, or in my case, almond milk! ☺️
Guys, we love this recipe! It’s quick, easy and something everyone can enjoy. I froze a little stash so that we could pop out a few when those relentless cravings strike, because I know they will!
If you give this recipe a try, let me know in the comments ?. Happy baking! ❤️
Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 c. unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 c. refined coconut oil
- 3/4 c. brown sugar - packed
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt + additional salt for sprinkling on top
- 1 c. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips*
- 1/2 c. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chunks**
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats, set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, add the coconut oil, microwave just until melted. Add sugars and vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Add eggs, mix well after each addition.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in dry ingredients along with the chocolate chips and chunks.
- Using a standard size cookie scoop (#40) place dough onto prepared the cookie sheets. Sprinkle each ball of dough with pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven and bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.