Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
I’m partnering with Reames® Frozen Egg Noodles to bring you today’s recipe. All opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with companies I love!
This thick and creamy chicken noodle soup is the perfect cozy meal for a cold winter day! It’s simple, delicious and filling!
Perfect for Soup Season
With Christmas right around the corner, we’ve been busy preparing for holiday parties, cookie exchanges, and making the big day magical for our kiddos. Life is busy, it always is, which means dinner is often an afterthought or a rushed meal. We’ve been trying really hard to resist the urge to eat out and instead, make a simple meal that gets all of us around the dinner table.
Soup has been my go-to. The kids will eat it, leftovers are enjoyed for days, and I can always sneak in lots of veggies. Today I’m sharing a twist on a classic: creamy chicken noodle soup.
It’s hard not to love chicken noodle soup! It’s the classic “when you’re sick” recipe, and today’s version is just as good – but more creamy than broth-y.
I made this soup a few weeks ago and our four year old insisted we make it again, so I did! It’s hearty without being overly rich, full of veggies and protein, and loaded with thick, homestyle egg noodles. What’s not to love?
We’re no strangers to chicken and noodles or chicken noodle soup. My kids love it when I use homemade egg noodles, but like I mentioned above, I just don’t have the time during the holidays.
That’s where Reames Frozen Egg Noodles save the day! They’re hearty with a thick, chewy taste and texture. Totally superior to the thin, dried egg noodles you find on the shelves at the grocery store.
Reames uses three simple, natural ingredients: eggs, flour and water. Just like you’d make from scratch, only these noodles get frozen for freshness. You’ll need to grab a 12 ounce bag of homestyle egg noodles for this recipe. As soon as the broth is boiling, toss them in and let them go until they’re nice and tender.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Everything comes together in just under 45 minutes, especially if you use rotisserie chicken or a pressure cooker (on the side) to cook the chicken. This recipe is great for those times when you need to make dinner in a hurry, or when you need a warm bowl of comfort after a long chaotic day.
SOUP. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add carrots, celery and onion, saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and water, bring mixture to a boil. Add seasonings, then the egg noodles. Boil for 15 minutes.
ROUX. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet set over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1-2 minutes or until it turns a pale golden brown. Slowly pour in the milk and cream, whisking until a smooth paste forms. This creates a roux and acts as a thickening agent which makes it nice and creamy. Carefully whisk mixture into the large pot.
CHICKEN. Add shredded chicken and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat once egg noodles are tender.
GARNISH. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
A Few Things to Note…
If you want to bulk it up a bit, you can always add MORE VEGGIES. Corn, peas and mushrooms are all great options! Or keep it simple and classic by adding extra carrots, celery and onion. You can’t go wrong!
To STORE this soup, place it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
We don’t recommend FREEZING this soup if the noodles are in it (the tend to get mushy). If you want to freeze it, cook as directed (without adding the noodles) and when reheating add the noodles to cook them.
If you love chicken noodle soup, you’ll love this creamy, hearty version! It’s comfort food at its finest.
For more soup recipes, check out:
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
This thick and creamy chicken noodle soup is the perfect cozy meal for a cold winter day! It’s simple, delicious and filling.
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 carrots, cut into cubes
- 3 stalks celery, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 c. l0w-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1 (12 oz.) bag Reames Frozen Egg Noodles
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs fully cooked and shredded OR 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add carrots, celery and onion, saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and water, bring mixture to a boil. Add seasonings, then the egg noodles. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet set over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1-2 minutes or until it turns a pale golden brown. Slowly pour in the milk and cream, whisking until a smooth paste forms. Carefully whisk mixture into the large pot.
- Add shredded chicken and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat once egg noodles are tender. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
– You can swap out frozen egg noodles for 12 oz. of your favorite pasta. Reduce cook time by 10 minutes.
– Corn, peas and mushrooms all make great additions to this soup.
Method adapted from my cheesy vegetable chowder |
All images and text © .
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Reames®. The opinions and text are all mine.