Funfetti Birthday Cake Blondies (no cake mix)
I have a confession: I don’t like white chocolate. Ok, maybe I should rephrase that, I don’t like when white chocolate is the star of the show… the main ingredient. These blondies though, they’ve changed my mind. So much that I ate three in about 30 seconds. Don’t judge. They’re perfectly sweet, buttery, loaded with sprinkles, and taste exactly like funfetti cake only without the mix.
That’s right. No cake mix or butter flavor needed. Just 5 ounces of quality white chocolate, vanilla extract and a mix of sprinkles. Who knew? Anyway, I’m here to tell you that you NEED to make these. If you’re more of a brownie or chocolate chip blondie person don’t worry, I promise you won’t regret it. These are just plain delicious!
Did I mention that they’re fun to make? How could they not be with all of those sprinkles? Our 1 1/2 year old’s face was beaming as he stirred the batter, he kept saying “hearts momma!!!”
These bars are super easy to throw together. Chop up the white chocolate (again, make sure you use something good like Ghirardelli) and combine it with the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in bursts until you can stir the mixture and it becomes silky smooth. Then you’re ready to beat it with the sugars, eggs and vanilla. When that’s combined, add in the whisked dry ingredients, mix and then fold in the sprinkles by hand. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bars are set (you’ll notice that the top gets puffy, it will flatten as they cool). Cool, cut and enjoy immediately!
If you love funfetti as much as I do, you’re going to love these blondies! They’re bright, buttery and highly addictive 🙂
- ½ c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 5 oz. white chocolate, chopped*
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. sprinkles (anything but nonpareils)**
- 1 oz. white chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8" baking pan with parchment paper or foil, lightly grease, set aside.
- In a medium size microwave safe bowl (or glass measuring cup), add the butter. Heat until partially melted, then add the white chocolate. Microwave on medium power in 15 second intervals, stirring until melted and smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the sugars, eggs and vanilla, mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Fold in sprinkles (and extra chunks of white chocolate if desired) by hand.
- Pour into prepared pan and place in oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is set and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 45 minutes before removing and slicing.
**I prefer a mix of sprinkles, mainly for the texture. Just don't use nonpareils, they'll bleed when you mix them in the batter. They're perfectly fine to sprinkle on top.
-Frosting is not needed for this recipe. Because they are made with white chocolate, they are naturally sweet. I'd stick with a sugar cookie bar recipe if you want to make frosting 🙂
Recipe source: adapted from Love & Olive Oil