Looking for a last minute Easter treat? Well you’re in the right place! This afternoon I decided to whip up a batch of homemade funfetti cupcakes- my favorite! I don’t make them very often (mainly because of the amount of sprinkles that go into them), but when I do, I really enjoy them! As soon as they came out of the oven I couldn’t help but taste test a mini one. They were perfectly moist and tender inside. I decided to frost mine with a vanilla buttercream and colored it green for a “grassy” look. Because I had some extra mini Cadbury creme eggs laying around I pressed a few into the frosting to finish them off. I think Starburst jelly beans would be really cute too or even a chocolate bunny! Enjoy and Happy Easter!!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter - room temperature
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow jimmies
"grassy" vanilla buttercream
- 3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar
- 16 Tbsp (2 sticks) butter - room temperature
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- green food coloring - optional
- mini cadbury eggs
- jelly bean eggs
- mini chocolate lindt bunnies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard cupcake pans (or three minis) with liners, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla bean paste and almond extract. With mixing speed on low, add egg, then egg yolk, mixing until just combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a glass measuring cup mix together sour cream and milk. With mixing speed on low, alternate dry and wet ingredients, mix until batter is smooth and homogeneous (being careful not to over mix).
- Remove bowl from stand and gently fold in sprinkles. Scoop batter into the cupcake liners, filling each ⅔ of the way full. Place in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes (8-12 for minis) or until the cupcakes spring back when touched and are slightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely (about 25 minutes).
- While cupcakes are cooling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine butter, salt, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy (2-3 minutes). With mixing speed on low, add heavy cream, then gradually add ½ c. powdered sugar at a time until the mixture becomes soft but firm enough to hold it’s shape. Add food coloring (as little or as much as you want until it reaches a shade you like, I went for more of a pastel), beat frosting for an additional 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Pipe on cooled cupcakes as desired. Garnish with festive candies or sprinkles.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction, Homemade Funfetti Cake