These Halloween Mason Jar Cakes combine cooking cakes in jars with a fun craft for a great dessert to make with your kids or grandchildren!
Halloween Mason Jar Cake Supplies
Frankenstein: (3) ½ pint mason jars, 1 black Sharpie paint pen, 6 googly eyes, super glue, black sprinkles, green & black food coloring
Jack-O-Lantern: (3) ½ pint mason jars, 1 black Sharpie paint pen, green sprinkles, green and orange food coloring
Mummy: (3) ½ pint mason jars, 1 box of 2″ gauze, 6 googly eyes, super glue, white sprinkles
3 Piping bags with desired tips
Halloween Mason Jar Cakes Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Butter - room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make the cake batter per the package instructions.
- Once the batter is ready divide it evenly in between three bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring into two of the bowls, coloring one green and the other orange.
- Pour the batter into the mason jars, filling each to the halfway mark (don’t go any further, or your cakes will overflow). You will end up with three green, three orange and three white.
- Set the jars onto a rimmed baking sheet and place in the center of the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. BE CAREFUL! If you over-bake these they will become brown… so watch them up until the 20 minute mark and remove them immediately!
- Place the baked cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely (about 30-40 minutes). If the cakes have risen too much, you can always take a knife and cut off the excess cake so that there is enough room to frost them.
- Meanwhile to prepare the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, vanilla, heavy cream and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add powdered sugar. Turn the speed up to high and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bowl from stand and divide frosting into three bowls. Color one orange, one black and leave the other white. Scoop into prepared piping bags. Set aside.
- When cakes have cooled, decorate jars. Let the ink and glue set for 5-10 minutes before frosting.
- Frost the cakes as desired and garnish with sprinkles. If you are giving these as a gift, you can screw on lids and decorate the tops.
- To store, seal and place in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Enjoy!