How To Make Fresh Bruschetta
How to make fresh homemade bruschetta with garden ripe tomatoes and basil. This bright and summery appetizer is a total crowd pleaser!
I quickly fell in love with bruschetta about 4 years ago when I was working at Sur La Table. It was always a quick, easy and elegant appetizer we could serve to our culinary class attendees, and it always disappeared in seconds! While I love using roma tomatoes, we always have an abundance of cherry tomatoes in our garden during the summer, so today’s recipe includes pictures featuring them!
Bruschetta is surprisingly easy to make. Don’t let the fancy name fool you. You’ll need a handful of cherry tomatoes, or a few roma tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, quality olive oil and vinegar, salt & pepper. Pretty simple, right?
Let the mixture rest while you prep the baguette. Cut it on the bias, brush it with olive oil & garlic and then toast it to golden brown perfection. Now you can either serve it plain with a big pile of tomato mixture on it, OR you can spread some ricotta or fresh mozzarella on the toasts before adding the mixture. YUM!!
Hosting a party? Having a date night in? Looking no further for the perfect appetizer! This fresh and vibrant snack comes together in just 20 minutes. No matter how you serve it, it’s always a hit!
How To Make Fresh Bruschetta Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 1/2 cup diced tomatoes - (roma, cherry etc.), seeds removed (or a majority of them)
- 6-8 basil leaves - (depending on size), julienned
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar - OR balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the Baguette
- 2 tbsp olive oil - OR melted butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 baguette - sliced on the bias, about 1/4-inch thick
- In a small non-stick skillet set over medium-low heat, add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Do not let it brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil/garlic, tomato, basil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine the oil and garlic powder. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil and toast until lightly browned.
- Top with tomato mixture and serve immediately.