15 Minute Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
Around this time last year I was browsing through the refrigerated section at Costco and saw a tub of spinach artichoke dip made with Greek yogurt. I thought that there was no way it could taste as good as the real deal, but guys, I was wrong! It was thick, creamy and full of flavor! I went back just a few weeks ago and looked to see if they still had it and was really disappointed when it was no where to be found. So I decided it was time to make my own lightened up version!
This recipe couldn’t get any easier! While it may look like it’s a lot of work, I promise, it isn’t! I mean it’s ready in just 15 minutes!!! What you’re going to need to do a little ahead of time is thaw out a 10 ounce block of frozen spinach, you’ll want it nice and tender so give it a few hours. Next you’ll need an 8 ounce block of 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I like to leave mine out for 30 minutes or so just so it’s easier to whisk in with the other ingredients. When all of that is thawed/at room temperature, you’re ready to start!
Place a Dutch oven or a medium size pot over medium-low heat. Add the butter, melt, then add a minced jalapeño (don’t worry, it’s just for flavor but doesn’t add much heat). Sauté it for a minute or two, then add 4 cloves of minced garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant. Next, add the block of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 2 cups of non-fat, 1%, or 2% Greek yogurt and 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese. Turn the heat up to medium and whisk continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and begins to bubble, about 4 minutes or so. Add the seasonings along with the chopped artichoke hearts (I like marinated ones because they add even more flavor to the dip, but you can used canned too) and thawed/drained spinach. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and you’re done! No one will ever guess that this dip is a low-fat version… I’m serious!
We gobbled ours up with some multi-grain pita chips and took the rest to a little get together with friends. It’s such a great little appetizer, especially because it’s homemade and only takes 15 minutes of effort 🙂 I can’t wait to share a few more “dip” recipes with you, I know you’re going to love them!
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. (1 block) ⅓ less fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 16 oz. plain Greek yogurt (non-fat, 1% or 2%)
- 1 c. shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 12-14 oz. marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Place a Dutch oven or a medium size pot over medium-low heat. Add the butter, melt then add the jalapeño. Sauté for a minute or two, then add the minced garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt and parmesan cheese and turn heat up to medium. Whisk continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and begins to bubble, about 4 minutes or so.
- Add the seasonings along with the chopped artichoke hearts and thawed/drained spinach. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, whisking or stirring to prevent any burning. Remove and enjoy!