Loaded Mini Chicken Pot Pies
It was finally time to put the pot pie maker to good use. Stephen and I whipped up some filling and cooked pies for his parents and James. The filling came together in about a half hour, and the pies took 8-10 minutes to bake (4 at a time). Everyone seemed to enjoy them, so I’d say the recipe is a winner. Note that it is the same amount for baking a full-sized pot pie, so if you’re looking for a recipe, look no further.
NOTE: Recipe was used with Breville Individual Pot Pie Maker
1/2 stick butter
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. onion, minced
1/2 c. celery, diced
2 c. classic mixed vegetables (frozen corn, carrots, green beans, potato, peas etc.)
2 c. chicken, finely cubed (as a time-saver, we used a rotisserie chicken from SAM’s)
1 can chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. Nature’s Seasoning
1 tsp. ground thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
2 packages Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts (in roll) [1 package if making large pot pie or crust recipe found here
DIRECTIONS FOR PIE MAKER:
1. Melt butter in pot or dutch oven. Add onion and celery. Cook until translucent.
2. Add flour and stir. Mix in chicken broth and cream and bring to a slow boil.
3. Once liquids are boiling, toss in chicken, then mixed vegetables. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4. Check to see if filling needs additional seasonings. Add according to taste.
5. Prepare pie crusts and turn on machine. Once heated, spray lightly with cooking spray.
6. Place crust bottom into maker and scoop 1/3 c. filling into each pie. Place top crust on each pie.
7. Cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
8. Unplug machine and let cool for 2 minutes. Remove pies with a spatula and let them rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
DIRECTIONS FOR OVEN:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Melt butter in pot or dutch oven. Add onion and celery. Cook until translucent.
3. Add flour and stir. Mix in chicken broth and cream and bring to a slow boil.
4. Once liquids are boiling, toss in chicken, then mixed vegetables. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
5. Check to see if filling needs additional seasonings. Add according to taste.
6. Roll out crust and fill bottom of pie pan. Pour mixture in.
7. Place the crust top on and press sides together to seal the pie. Use knife to cut vents in the top of pan to allow for steam to pass through.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Allow pie to cool for 10 minutes before serving.